From florida, only really familiar with bass fishing

Kirakari

I'm from NY originally so I used to do tons of bass fishing growing up, as well as crabbing in the Chesapeake whenever I went to see my grandma. That's about where my fishing experience ends. I suppose the only notable thing I've walk up to Walden pond with nothing, found a discarded hook and a short stretch of line, and got some bait from under a rock and snagged two decent sized fish inside ten minutes. Idk that's stocked tho so it's probs not actually that cool lol. Only reason I mention this rather than FL is that I've done zero fishing in FL.

I'm looking to get into freshwater fishing upstate, and if we have crayfish or crabs I'd be down to weave some traps (I majored in anthropology so all that bushcraft stuff is tons of fun. I'm pretty good at flintknapping (useless skill, I know), and I've made some arrows and bone-handled flint knives. Useless skill, probably, but our shared human heritage. I'm just rambling now, sorry! I hope I can learn about the upstate fishing/crabbing stitch, because this is the first time I've lived inland and I want fresh seafood for my and my husband.

Thanks for having me on the forum :)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Welcome to the Campfire! Lots of good folks, friends, and info can be found here. You'll be surprised just how many flint nappers you'll find on here.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm from NY originally so I used to do tons of bass fishing growing up, as well as crabbing in the Chesapeake whenever I went to see my grandma. That's about where my fishing experience ends. I suppose the only notable thing I've walk up to Walden pond with nothing, found a discarded hook and a short stretch of line, and got some bait from under a rock and snagged two decent sized fish inside ten minutes. Idk that's stocked tho so it's probs not actually that cool lol. Only reason I mention this rather than FL is that I've done zero fishing in FL.

I'm looking to get into freshwater fishing upstate, and if we have crayfish or crabs I'd be down to weave some traps (I majored in anthropology so all that bushcraft stuff is tons of fun. I'm pretty good at flintknapping (useless skill, I know), and I've made some arrows and bone-handled flint knives. Useless skill, probably, but our shared human heritage. I'm just rambling now, sorry! I hope I can learn about the upstate fishing/crabbing stitch, because this is the first time I've lived inland and I want fresh seafood for my and my husband.

Thanks for having me on the forum :)

Welcome, lots of interest here on past cultures and artifacts here.

Kirakari

Ah, in terms of flintknapping I kinda had to give all my stuff away before I moved (I flew, didn't have much luggage, generally blades/points are no-nos) but I'd be happy to show pics of new stuff I make. Only knapped stuff I have on hand is stuff I didn't make. Do you guys know if upstate GA has native flint or chert? If anyone has antler and gut NW of Atlanta, I'd be happy to make knives or arrowheads for you! And my /god/ if anyone has obsidian that would be unreal.

Gator89

I have napped on some mattresses I thought were hard as flint.

Welcome to the forum.

Is it Keera Carry or Ka Rik A Ree, or some other phonic combo?

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Welcome

Big7

The Oracle
Welcome.

What part of flor-duh?
I love it down there.

Geffellz18

Welcome to the fire. Good place to frequent and dig around!
Not too many places in FL I would consider inland, but there’s many lakes/ponds & creeks/rivers loaded with panfish, bass, crappie & catfish all over the state.

Kirakari

Welcome.

What part of flor-duh?
I love it down there.
Escambia, so basically AL, lol.
Welcome to the fire. Good place to frequent and dig around!
Not too many places in FL I would consider inland, but there’s many lakes/ponds & creeks/rivers loaded with panfish, bass, crappie & catfish all over the state.
Ah, I meant I recently moved to north georgia from FL, but I mentioned NY because I did all my fishing up there, and never fished in FL. Saltwater fishing besides crabbing/lobstering/tidepool foraging doesn't really interest me, so now that I'm up in a place with nice mountain lakes, I'm hyped to take my bf out to a place where you can kayak without fear of getting eaten by gators lol.

Geffellz18

Escambia, so basically AL, lol.

Ah, I meant I recently moved to north georgia from FL, but I mentioned NY because I did all my fishing up there, and never fished in FL. Saltwater fishing besides crabbing/lobstering/tidepool foraging doesn't really interest me, so now that I'm up in a place with nice mountain lakes, I'm hyped to take my bf out to a place where you can kayak without fear of getting eaten by gators lol.

Oh, Gotcha.
Born and Raised in Santa Rosa here, so also from LA(Lower Alabama, lol!)
Been in GA since 2001 & NE GA since 2008 though. This year marked me living in GA longer than FL.
Love it up here in the foothills of the Mountains. Trout fishing is pretty abundant, as is bass and panfish fishing in several reservoirs and there is no shortage paddling options up this was too.
Enjoy your new home base!