from mature forest to a food plot... updated

bilgerat

Senior
Im Creating a food plot from scratch, Since I bought My little 13.3 acre patch of woods in Jasper county Ive been thinking of ways to improve the land for wild life. The land is covered in a mix of mature pine and hardwoods with a few large white oaks and a bunch of pin oaks. . Is is a big D shape and most of it slopes down from the curved dirt road . Theres about an acre that flattens out near the back property line thats mostly covered in junk trees and a few pines , Ive hired a guy to come and clear the acre of flat ground .He's is gonna start next week. As soon as he done I plan to get soil samples sent off and prepping it for planting. I thought Id share the project with Yall , Heres a aerial pic of My land with the area to be cleared in yellow. And a few Before picks of the area where the plot will be. Screenshot (41).pngw85.jpg430006793.jpg

Last edited:

bilgerat

Senior
the aerial pic is a few years old, all the pines on the other property across the line from the food plot were cut 2 years ago. , Its been sprayed and replanted with pines and grown into a thick weedy mess, I added the deer trails in blue Screenshot (41).pngto the pic

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I cleared and made me a small plot on my small wooded property over about a three-year period. I finally got it planted last year, and the deer and turkeys tore it up.

ucfireman

Cost for the dozer work?
What did yall do with the trees? Burn pile or just leave them?
Looks really good.

ucfireman

Sounds like a pretty good deal.
I have done the mulcher before but never a dozer. I would like a dozer to make a real food plot instead of a treed opening. Its a PIA to plant mine with the trees and then cutting is a night mare.
I could clean it up a little at a time (that was the plan) but gezz I'm lazy.
But the deer do like it.

bilgerat

Senior
Yep , it good brown dirt down 4+ feet, Now I gotta decide what to plant and where to get seed ,thinking about iron n clay peas and lab lab or another type bean . Where s the best place to get seed in north or central Ga?

sportsman94

Yep , it good brown dirt down 4+ feet, Now I gotta decide what to plant and where to get seed ,thinking about iron n clay peas and lab lab or another type bean . Where s the best place to get seed in north or central Ga?

Mintons lawn and garden in Macon depending on where you are

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d recommend getting a soil sample as you’ll probably need to pour the lime to it . I usually don’t but I pour the lime and fertilizer to mine but I’m sure I’d probably save money getting a soil sample .

Latest posts