Fun day today!

frankwright

8sT9eL6m.jpg

By the time we could round up a couple of helpers there were only six in the trap. Looks like they went over the top.
We cleaned all six and I have a cooler full of pigs.
I shot three with .22 Mag rifle, they went right down!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nice! Way to go Frank!

sleepr71

Dang,hate you lost those! You’ll probably never catch them again!! I’d add 2’ of chain link,chicken wire,or something to prevent that again. I built my last one 5.5 ft high because We had one come over last year after my dad shot him? I’ve seen them jump what seemed to be 4 ft high.

frankwright

Yep, The guys that built it know they need to raise it a few feet.
I suggested the angled pieces you see on security fences that have barbed wire but they are looking at options.
I told them when I saw it I didn't think it would hold up but I was thinking of them smashing out of it not going over the top.
The big sow got out which is amazing!

longrangedog

All they need is to get one leg over the top and they're out. If you can find 52" panels you won't lose many. Be ready when you drive or walk up to the trap. They get extra energized when they see you and it's also a good idea to have someone standing by with a shotgun in case one gets out. The ones that get out will be trap shy forever.

sleepr71

After trapping them for the last 10-12 years....I am convinced that 5’ Horse panels are the way to go. They have 2”x4” squares so you won’t lose little piglets & they are 60” high. Not many hogs can get that high no matter what. I agree with the Jager Pro guys & built my last one 65” high. I used Pallet racking for the bottom 3ft then welded 36” Hog panels to those,with some overlap for strength. It’s strong,has small openings to prevent losing little ones,and is tall enough to (hopefully) prevent them from climbing out!

across the river

Most people can’t stand to hear you say that but I’m the same way !

I don't think it is that, I just think people who have had them show up in numbers understand shooting them is fruitless. There is nothing wrong with shooting them, but if you are covered up in them, going to hunt them on the weekends is the equivalent of stepping on a few ants on the sidewalk and ignoring the bed. In the grand scheme of things it has zero impact.

sleepr71

Until they start costing you days & days of extra work,and Thousands of $$$$ out of your pocket...most won’t understand why those of us that manage land for Deer/Turkeys and,or Farm...despise a Hog..?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Until they start costing you days & days of extra work,and Thousands of $$$$ out of your pocket...most won’t understand why those of us that manage land for Deer/Turkeys and,or Farm...despise a Hog..?
I consider myself very lucky to live in a county that doesn’t have a population of hogs . When I chose a property to manage for Deer/Turkeys I looked long and hard .

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
They will eventually spread & show up there..especially if “baiting” remains legal. Give it time..?
I always assumed the same thing . And still don’t understand why we don’t have a decent population . They seem to be in every direction around me . I’ve been here almost 18 years and it hasn’t happened yet !

frankwright

It is hard to figure out. I hunted a club in Upson County, not too far from the Flint River. I saw deer and once a bear but no one ever saw a hog in the 15 years I hunted there.
I hunt some land in Talbot now and there are hogs there 12 months out of the year. This land does not allow baiting during deer season, yet they see hogs and deer all season long!
Some properties the pigs seem to come and go!