Fun to cast

Concrete Pete

The answer to your question is a Kistler Medium-Heavy Fast Texas/Carolina Jig rod with a Daiwa Tatula bait caster. ;)

In all seriousness, it sounds like you just need to experiment with different actions from the way you worded your question.

Most fly rods are fun to cast. The better you get at casting, the more fun they are.

The problem is usually the angler not the rod. The quality brands (Sage/Redington, Orvis, Echo, TFO, etc) aren’t churning out bad rods at the lower price points.

The issue is usually the angler. If you don’t practice casting, you’ll never be able to feel the difference between two rods with the same action.

As you get better at casting, you can start to feel the difference in how, for example, an Orvis Helios loads at the end of the back cast vs other rods (whether it’s worth it to spend the extra $800 above the price of the lower priced rods to get that marginal performance gain is up to you). The point is that if you have a bad cast, if you’re doing stuff like bending your wrist too much at the end of the back cast, it doesn’t matter if you get the priciest rod or the lower priced one. You’ll never feel the difference.

The ‘fun’ factor of the rod also depends on what you’re fishing for and the style of fishing.

If you have to regularly cast heavy flies 50 + feet, I don’t know that a soft action bamboo rod would be a lot fun.

That doesn’t mean a bamboo rod isn’t a ton of fun, but I’d be miserable casting one in the situation above.

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

I think TFO rods are underrated. I have one Lefty Kreh Signature 9' 7wt that I love. It's a good rod, fishes better than some more expensive ones I've fished.

Is that rod a yellowish orange by chance?

I almost got a TFO 8wt.

Tight Lines

The best thing you can do is go cast rods...and really today, there is not a bad rod out there for the most part...my kids both got Echo rods at a casting clinic, I think the whole set up was like $150 each...if I was casting it without looking at it, I would not know for certain it was not a Sage or Winston...I have Sage, Winston, Scott, Douglas, and have had Orvis rods. The funnest to cast are the ones with me when I am knee deep in a stream and catching fish...or just casting...you don't have to spend a lot, but if you appreciate details, then some of the more expensive ones are, well, nice! I like smaller lighter line rods and smaller native fish...it's just a lot of fun to me...what JH said is good advice...good luck!

flyrod444

I cast many different rods each year fishing with my clients. As said earlier they are all good casting rods today. Some are very expensive and others are not. Had a client show up one time many years ago with an outfit he bought at a gas station. I wasn't looking forward to the use of this rod, but was surprised at how well it cast. Reel and reel seat where pretty bad, but it cast well. I can't tell you what rod you will enjoy because what I like in a rod you may not. You have full flex, med flex, tip flex, which vary from rod model to rod model. I prefer med flex for most of my needs, full flex when fishing smaller tight streams. I still pull out a now 35 year old 7 1/2' 4 wt that is full flex for small streams. The one thing I hate on any rod is a heavy reel. I didn't say cheap for some very expensive reels can be heavy and some cheap ones are very lite. I would try and find a shop that will let you cast the rod before you buy it if possible. Good luck in you rod search.

Tight Lines

Sage and Redington are made by the same company, and have a lot of similarities.
I don't know if this is still the case since I don't own a Reddington rod and I think that all of them are imported. All of the Sage rods are made in the US. I think Sage did this rather than downgrade the Sage name to supply the big boxes and lower end of the market, and they bought Reddington some 20 years back...

brutally honest

The issue is usually the angler. If you don’t practice casting, you’ll never be able to feel the difference between two rods with the same action.

I’m a very good caster and practice regularly. I just don’t like a lot of the stiff rods that have been all the rage for the last 15-20 years. I’d like to fish a 5wt that loads with an actual 5wt line. (I cast a Sage Method 5wt a few years ago. It was one of the finest 8wts I’ve ever cast. :rolleyes: )

I’ve been looking online and am considering a Scott G or the new Sage Trout LL.

Tight Lines

I’m a very good caster and practice regularly. I just don’t like a lot of the stiff rods that have been all the rage for the last 15-20 years. I’d like to fish a 5wt that loads with an actual 5wt line. (I cast a Sage Method 5wt a few years ago. It was one of the finest 8wts I’ve ever cast. :rolleyes: )

The Orvis Superfines are great for what you are describing...

https://www.orvis.com/superfine-gla...rbJuuh24zcbv32U263i7YoLf4VisDNKxoCsZkQAvD_BwE

brutally honest

The Orvis Superfines are great for what you are describing...

I learned to cast on an older model Orvis graphite rod, very similar to the Superfines. So, I really like the Superfines, but they discontinued the graphite models (which I would prefer.) I know they sometimes pop up on Ebay.

Tight Lines

I learned to cast on an older model Orvis graphite rod, very similar to the Superfines. So, I really like the Superfines, but they discontinued the graphite models (which I would prefer.) I know they sometimes pop up on Ebay.
Yeah I know the graphite Superfines are hard to find sometimes...in graphite...but the glass ones are still available in 5 & 6 wt.

almoore

I have a superfine glass 4 wt. It's a noodle and I rarely fish it. Really liked the graphite. For a moderate action, I either fish modern bamboo, Epic fastglass (modern faster fiberglass) or an old Scott G4.

Tight Lines

Interesting enough I have about 20 fly rods, and my favorite of all is what most would consider a fast Sage from the late 90s. Is is an SP and it is a 5 wt. 5 piece with 2 tips...the only Sage I ever bought that had an extra tip, and even though I have bought many rods before and after...that is still my number one 5 wt. go to rod and still have the same Lamson Litespeed reel on it...that thing casts like a dream (it'll pop a fly off in a heartbeat if you are not patient) and has landed more fish than any other rod I've ever owned...I like my light line Sage too...but the SP is my favorite rod I've ever owned...so, to each his own...

brutally honest

Interesting enough I have about 20 fly rods, and my favorite of all is what most would consider a fast Sage from the late 90s. Is is an SP and it is a 5 wt. 5 piece with 2 tips...the only Sage I ever bought that had an extra tip, and even though I have bought many rods before and after...that is still my number one 5 wt. go to rod and still have the same Lamson Litespeed reel on it...that thing casts like a dream (it'll pop a fly off in a heartbeat if you are not patient) and has landed more fish than any other rod I've ever owned...I like my light line Sage too...but the SP is my favorite rod I've ever owned...so, to each his own...

I don’t think an SP compares to modern fast rods like the Sage Method, One or Igniter. I read a book by this guy who HATED fast rods, and he loved the SP.

As you say, to each his own.

Tight Lines

I don’t think an SP compares to modern fast rods like the Sage Method, One or Igniter. I read a book by this guy who HATED fast rods, and he loved the SP.

As you say, to each his own.

True, and I have several Ones. It was fast for the late 90s and the SP+ was almost uncastable for many...still my favorite...what was the book?

almoore

My main all around rod is also an old SP 9ft 5weight that I bought half price when Sage was upgrading from it. Sage called it "graphite 4" technology. Lord knows what number they're up to now. I fished with a guy who is a certified fly casting instructor with FFI. He was using a 7 weight SP. He said that it is a popular rod to take the certification test and to teach with and they are very difficult to find now.

brutally honest

My main all around rod is also an old SP 9ft 5weight that I bought half price when Sage was upgrading from it. Sage called it "graphite 4" technology. Lord knows what number they're up to now.

Now, it’s “KonneticHD Technology”! :eek:

Sounds expensive, so it must be good.

Meriwether Mike

Mine is an old Sage Vantage which was one of their less expensive rods. I have been tight line nymphing so much it has not seen much use lately.

Jimmy Harris

Just an FYI, the new Sage Trout LL is NOT the same rod as the original LL. I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me.