GA Quail

NCMTNHunter

What a weekend. Loaded up the dogs, kids, and friends and spent the weekend chasing birds in middle GA. We got up 6 coveys in two days and never hunted the same spot twice. Despite some horrible shotgun work on my end we still managed to knock a few down. Izzy really made progress with multiple points and good retrieving work. My highlight was when she found this bird my buddy had shot. He had marked where it went down when he shot and we put the dogs to work trying to find it. We hadn’t had any luck and I had lost track of Izzy while I was looking for the bird myself. I looked around to see where she had got to and saw her coming out of a thicket about 30 yards away with the bird in her mouth. This is her first “tough” retrieve where the bird had run off and died. My buddy insisted on taking this picture. There’s nothing like watching dogs develope in to what they are supposed to be.

57922E93-44D9-4005-ADD5-79DFBB1FDF5A.jpeg4DB8DA5D-1F04-427C-87ED-A94E31C34F93.jpeg51298189-3DF1-41DF-B6D0-97D4C46BE49B.jpegF04B22A5-660C-42B3-8419-1C662F1026C1.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
Bet that was fun and a fine animal you have there.

I haven't seen a wild covey in over 8 years.

Last edited:

spring

Looks like a great day. Amazing how hard it can be to find a downed bird; about impossible without a good dog.
Took my grandson out yesterday and we found a covey late in the afternoon. My son popped one and I went right to where it fell but no sign of it. Called my French Brittany over and he soon sniffed it under a small downed tree, but the bird still had some life and tried to make a dash for it. My dog was up to the task was about as quick as the bird as he caught it. Fun to watch a good pup do its thing.

tempImage1NkPDt.jpg

NCMTNHunter

Looks like a great day. Amazing how hard it can be to find a downed bird; about impossible without a good dog.
Took my grandson out yesterday and we found a covey late in the afternoon. My son popped one and I went right to where it fell but no sign of it. Called my French Brittany over and he soon sniffed it under a small downed tree, but the bird still had some life and tried to make a dash for it. My dog was up to the task was about as quick as the bird as he caught it. Fun to watch a good pup do its thing.

View attachment 1203911
It’s fun to watch pups of both species. Kids that get to see a wild covey flush are experiencing something most of the world never will.

NCMTNHunter

That's awesome! Pyke vest for the win too!
Funny story and hot tip all in one on that vest. My wife gave me that vest for Christmas a couple years ago. When I opened it I said wow, how did you even know about pyke gear? She said when she turned her computer on a few months before her Facebook had adds for them all over it and she thought it would make a good Christmas present. What I never told her was when I first heard about pyke gear on a podcast I looked up their website on her computer when I got home that evening, which is why she had pyke adds all over the place . That was one of those things I never would have bought for myself but I’m sure glad she did.