Gar Fish

Thread starter #1

27metalman

I figured this would be the forum to ask for help. In my reading, I think 3 species of gar are in Georgia... the longnose, spotted, and Florida. Can some of ya'll post a pic of the spotted and Florida? I think we have all three species in some ponds I have access to, but maybe it's just a spotted with a color variation...? I'm in middle Georgia by the way.

Thread starter #4

27metalman

Alligator gar in TX, LA, and the gulf coast far as I know. I know people that have caught those out of state... these aren't alligator gars. Those things get big... I mean real big.

Are you sure it was a gator gar and not an oversize longnose gar?
Ive caught a many longnose. I was wading a riverbend fishing a crankbait. Had it almost reeled in to about 5 ft in front of me when i had a large gar, about 7 ft long come up and take a look at my crankbait . 5ft away clear water. It wasnt a longnose. I would say girth of that fish was about the size of a soccerball. Im not gonna say it was definitly a gator gar since there is so much going against that. But it was def. Not a longnose. I dont know what else it could be.

Longnose gar can get over six feet long. I've seen a couple over 5 myself.

Used to wade fish a spring fed river in FL. when I was a kid. Talk about spooky when a school of gar swim straight at you and part about the time the see you.

Getting a longnose to actually measure out much over 60" is really, really, doing something regardless of where you are at. Caught them by the hundreds/thousands while commercially fishing and there's plenty out there in the 52-58" range but have seen very few exceed 60". They have been caught or known to reach 6 ft and 55 lbs or so.

Getting a longnose to actually measure out much over 60" is really, really, doing something regardless of where you are at. Caught them by the hundreds/thousands while commercially fishing and there's plenty out there in the 52-58" range but have seen very few exceed 60". They have been caught or known to reach 6 ft and 55 lbs or so.
I agree there is a big difference between a 52" and 58" as far as weight goes my personal best is 56" ..kinda like a gator .at some point they start getting heavier and wider.

ghadarits

I’d like to see a true alligator gar in GA. If you’ve seen an alligator gars head the difference is obvious. My dad swears they used to be in Blackshear when he was a teenager . That would have been early to mid 1950s.
Thats my Granddad from the same time frame at their cabin on Blackshear.

Attachments

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Only one I’ve ever seen was at Tom Mann’s fish world in Eufaula when I was about 12-13. I assumed it came out of the lake but guess I was wrong.

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
Only one I’ve ever seen was at Tom Mann’s fish world in Eufaula when I was about 12-13. I assumed it came out of the lake but guess I was wrong.

I saw what was probably that same gator gar there sometime around 1974? Mr. Tom was there and I asked him about it, and he said he caught it in Lake Seminole.