Garden Soil Test Geeks

B. White

I planted a few rounds of cover crops over the last 15 months on the new garden spot, so I just now had a soil test done. Potassium is below the line.

I added fireplace ashes last year and will going forward, but it doesn't cover a lot of ground. I have several loads of wood chips that I'd guess will help, but they are in this years, so I won't add for a while.

What is the opinion of you scientists who like this kind of stuff:

1) Don't worry about potassium and continue to add ash and wood chips over time
2) Don't do anything other than normal fertilizing, since it is borderline
3) Add something that can be bought at a reasonable price, and if so what?

1657146116512.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You could get some 0-46-0 and boost the P. The lime could stand a boost too since it’s barely above 6.

B. White

You could get some 0-46-0 and boost the P. The lime could stand a boost too since it’s barely above 6.

If I'm reading this chart correctly, you only need to add what is below the line in the nutrients needed section. P is already maxed out. I could be wrong, which is also why I posted it.

I don't mind adding anything that will make a difference, but don't want to throw any unnecessary dollars at it with today's input costs.

doomtrpr_z71

Your P is that high from the ash, it's not maxed out by any means, personally I'd add nitrogen and let it ride there's nothing else needed