Garmin 100 & 200 e- collars

bnew17

Just curious who uses the Garmin 100 or 200 e collars? The training video i am following stresses the timing of the stimulation when correcting the dog/pup. I have never used one before, but it seems their (100 & 200) main focus is the gps feature, which I need as well. I just was not sure how people liked the e collar/stim feature. Thanks

Rebel's Dad

I'm not familiar with the 200, but I've used the 100 since they came out. If you have one dog and lock the screen the 100 works OK as a shock collar. If you have more than one dog it's cumbersome to switch from one dog to another.

You want to lock the screen because if you don't anything touching it can change the settings.

It's also not easy to change the stim level on the fly, but you can set each of the three physical buttons up for a different level, or even a different dog.

A dedicated e collar is easier to use, especially without having to look at it, but the 100 will work. It takes a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of it.

If you have other questions I'm happy to help--just quote this post so I see it in my notifications.

The GPS function is great. I won't hunt a dog without one anymore.

watermedic

I have the 200i but am running the T5 collars. I really have no need to shock my dogs. Just want to track them.

bnew17

I'm not familiar with the 200, but I've used the 100 since they came out. If you have one dog and lock the screen the 100 works OK as a shock collar. If you have more than one dog it's cumbersome to switch from one dog to another.

You want to lock the screen because if you don't anything touching it can change the settings.

It's also not easy to change the stim level on the fly, but you can set each of the three physical buttons up for a different level, or even a different dog.

A dedicated e collar is easier to use, especially without having to look at it, but the 100 will work. It takes a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of it.

If you have other questions I'm happy to help--just quote this post so I see it in my notifications.

The GPS function is great. I won't hunt a dog without one anymore.

That is good to know. I ended up buying an Alpha 100i. I just need it for 1 dog (pup right now) that i will be training in the near future. I was concerned about the stim feature because the training video I am going to be following stresses the importance of using the stim feature at the precise right time. So if I can preset 3 different levels of stim with those buttons, I think that will work out fine. I need to start familiarizing myself with all the different functions.

Rebel's Dad

That is good to know. I ended up buying an Alpha 100i. I just need it for 1 dog (pup right now) that i will be training in the near future. I was concerned about the stim feature because the training video I am going to be following stresses the importance of using the stim feature at the precise right time. So if I can preset 3 different levels of stim with those buttons, I think that will work out fine. I need to start familiarizing myself with all the different functions.

That sounds good. The advice about timing is sound.

I have mine set up with one button set low for corrections, one set to a high level in case the dog is about to get into something dangerous (like a porcupine, chasing deer, etc) and the other set to vibrate. I use the vibrate as a silent recall.

You'll find that different dogs have different tolerance levels. A buddy of mine has a setter who's a big bruiser of a dog, but level two is plenty for corrections. My Britt is considerably smaller but needs level 4 for the same response.

You might consider removing some of the tools from the main menu. There is a bunch of stuff on it that you likely won't use. I don't even know what "Waypoint Averaging" is. I probably took off half or more the stuff. You can always put it back on if you want.

Good luck and good hunting!

NCMTNHunter

This is exactly how I use mine. When working one dog I set each button to be a different level for that dog. My pup I’m training now uses 2, 3, and 5. I never use the 5 but like others have said I keep it there to avoid tragedy. I only use the 3 when the collar isn’t making good contact and she doesn’t respond to 2. When I start running a flank collar on her I will use that last button for the flank collar instead.

Then I set up another screen for when I’m hunting more than one dog where each button is a low level stim for each dog.

A dedicated training collar would be better but I only train a new pup every 3 or 4 years these days so I make due with the one unit.