Gator hunt

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ve got 5 points for next year. I’m hoping to be on Seminole. I got drawn the 3rd year of the quotas,2005. I haven’t gator hunted since

cowhornedspike

If the arrows broke causing him to loose the gator he was using a fishing arrow and not a gator arrow. A Muzzy Gator arrow has a tip that comes off after the shot and the arrow stays on the line but not in the gator. Only the tip pulling out (which is very unlikely) or the line breaking would cause you to loose the gator if using the correct arrow and tip setup.
Fishing arrows are NOT for gator hunting.

watermedic

Depending on the type of head, it takes some pretty serious energy to penetrate that hide.

I have seen many bounce off when shot in the back. The neck is usually a good spot though. I have never had a gator getter or the gator grapple heads pull out if they penetrate fully. They will turn sideways and have to be cut out.

cowhornedspike

Most fishing arrows are not heavy enough to penetrate well on gators. The Muzzy Gator arrow is very heavy and is the only one I would want with me on a gator hunt.

munchie3409

I was hoping that my 13yo daughter and I could do a gator hunt next year together. From the looks of it, she doesn't have enough points as she has 4 points and I have 8 points. When I did my first GA gator hunt in 2018, I only used 4 points, but it doesn't look as if 4 points will be enough. I used Gary Frye and he told me next time to get a zone 1 tag.

I don't think 4 points will get a zone 1 tag...what are you thoughts? Also, doesn't a youth hunter need to be at least 14 year's old? I thought I saw that somewhere in GA regs.

cowhornedspike

There was an age limit of 12 but that was dropped a couple of years ago. No age limit at the present time as far as I know.

ventilator

I was hoping that my 13yo daughter and I could do a gator hunt next year together. From the looks of it, she doesn't have enough points as she has 4 points and I have 8 points. When I did my first GA gator hunt in 2018, I only used 4 points, but it doesn't look as if 4 points will be enough. I used Gary Frye and he told me next time to get a zone 1 tag.

I don't think 4 points will get a zone 1 tag...what are you thoughts? Also, doesn't a youth hunter need to be at least 14 year's old? I thought I saw that somewhere in GA regs.
You can always just use your points to get your tag and let her kill it. Then the next year she can draw and yall can go together again.