Gator rod Info

Hello folks, quick question before I over think or under think something.
Is a 10ft surf rod to much or long of a rod for fishing gators? Thank you for your input.

Toliver

You just need something you can cast accurately and get the hook up. I over thought it when I first started and bought too much rod and reel and too much hook to go on it. Couldn't cast that heavy thing for nothing. Now that being said, I don't use the rod to fight the gator. I only use it as a long distance hook up and locator. I find a rig you can cast 50 or 60 yards accurately is the best for me. Once he's hooked you just let him do his thing, follow your line and wait for the opportunity to throw the grappling hook. But like I said, this is just my preference. I also prefer to hunt during the day.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
A 10' surf rod wouldn't work good brother. Get a short stubby combo with braid and a #10 or #12 weighted treble hook. Like Toliver said, you ain't fighting the gator with it. It's just a a way to know where he is so you can arrow, harpoon, or get a big hook in him. I have a Penn setup that is less than 6' and I can cast half the spool with a #10 hook. Plus a 10' rod in the boat while messing with a gator would be cumbersome as all get out. Good luck with it! I'm jealous. It'll be years before I get drawn again.