Gear Review: Old Old Timer vs. New Old Timer..

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Was at the feed store today and on a whim, I picked up a new Chinese manufactured Old Timer 77OT Muskrat.

Directly compared to an old US black steel 194OT, you really have to look to find any difference...

IMG_20210917_104030303_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Scale material is the same, fit and finish is about 95% on the import, and of course the blade is the asian equivalent to 440 stainless, not the same as the originals.

Out of the box, the new one isn't very sharp, but it only took about 20 strokes a side on my old ceramic Steamboat sticks and it will shave your arms, if you are into that sorta thing...

It felt just a bit rough opening and closing, but a drop of 3&1 and about 100 cycles made it much smoother. Also improved the blade's "snap" quite a bit.

The best part is the price! I gave a $20 for the thing after a little dickering down from $25, but I go thru a bunch of corn and birdseed...lol

I was firmly in the "anti Chinese Taylor/Schrade" camp. But I feel like I got a decent product for my money, and who cares if something happens to it.

Good on the company for keeping the name alive, at a more than fair price.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This new knife will never have the charm of the old ones.

I was at an antique shop with my Mom at about 9 or 10, and I had a few dollars to spend. There was an OT Muskrat in the case with a blade and a half that fit my budget. My mom said OK, and I bought it.

I was bleeding before we got home...:LOL:

Don't know what happened to that knife, but it was the inspiration to buy this one.

zedex

Gator Bait
I still have my first pocket knife that my grandfather gave me in the early 70s. It's an old timer and I ain't gonna get a newer one.