Geese Pyro

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Here is one I just got finished with for a buddy. It is my attempt to represent David Maass Winter Wonder Geese, which is truly a work of art.

It is approximately 13"X8" slab of basswood. Took @ 7-8 hours to get done.

What do you all think?

W/flash
GEESEflash.jpg

WO/flash
geesewoflash.jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks Great to me,got some talent Bro.:cool:

Bone Collector

WOODIE13, I love your pyro work! You've got me wanting to take up this artwork! Any info you can offer to lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated. How long you been doing pyro? I think maybe with a ton of practice I could possibly, someday, someway, somehow be as good as you. But I won't hold my breath. You are a true artist! Thanks for sharing and keep 'em comin'.:cheers:

BC

WOODIE13

Bone Collector said:
WOODIE13, I love your pyro work! You've got me wanting to take up this artwork! Any info you can offer to lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated. How long you been doing pyro? I think maybe with a ton of practice I could possibly, someday, someway, somehow be as good as you. But I won't hold my breath. You are a true artist! Thanks for sharing and keep 'em comin'.:cheers:

BC

Appreciate the compliments. Been doing it on and off for @20 yrs, more in the last 4 years. This staff job has me strung out to wit's end and I needed to find something to take may mind off of it. So far, this has been doing the trick. Just started playing with color within the last couple months, before it was straight burning for color.

If you want to start out, pick you up a burner, any craft store or Wallmart will have them and normally they are $15-30. Next, pic up some scrap wood to practice on.

You can either free hand or trace an outline of what you want on your wood. Next start burning. Make sure you use the correct tips for the type of work you are doing. The longer you stay in one spot the deeper and darker it will be. Practice shading and blending. Shouldn't take too long before your work starts looking good.

My next project in the near future is to incorporate a person and dog into it.

If you need any help or pointers, give me a shout and and I will try my best.

Bone Collector

WOODIE13 said:
Appreciate the compliments. Been doing it on and off for @20 yrs, more in the last 4 years. This staff job has me strung out to wit's end and I needed to find something to take may mind off of it. So far, this has been doing the trick. Just started playing with color within the last couple months, before it was straight burning for color.

If you want to start out, pick you up a burner, any craft store or Wallmart will have them and normally they are $15-30. Next, pic up some scrap wood to practice on.

You can either free hand or trace an outline of what you want on your wood. Next start burning. Make sure you use the correct tips for the type of work you are doing. The longer you stay in one spot the deeper and darker it will be. Practice shading and blending. Shouldn't take too long before your work starts looking good.

My next project in the near future is to incorporate a person and dog into it.

If you need any help or pointers, give me a shout and and I will try my best.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot and see how I do. I will definitely let you know when I need andy help. Next stop I'll be getting a burner.:cool:

BC:cheers:

WOODIE13

Your avatar would be a perfect first project:fine:

Where you at in GA?

Bone Collector

WOODIE13 said:
Your avatar would be a perfect first project:fine:

Where you at in GA?

I was thinking the same thing. I might do it but I don't know about doing it as my first project. I just bought my burning tools yesterday afternoon.:banana: It's likely that I won't start until this weekend though. I work a long midnight shift and I'm usually ready for bed when I get home. Then when I wake up I'm just concentrating on getting ready for work and again and getting some food in my stomach. But I'm a little excited to get started. I may wind up just going to bed later after fiddling with everything.:fine:

I bought a woodburning kit for my nephew, too. He did a project with a Tweety Bird pattern. You know..."I tought I taw a puddy tat." But he messed up when transferring and wound up only doing Tweety and left out the background. He really likes it though. He's 15 now and I just want to give him something to do so that he stays out of trouble. I got a few more ideas for him, too.

I live in Monticello close to Lake Jackson in Turtle Cove.

Were do you get your pieces of wood from? I got one from the craft store, but I'd like to find another source that is more reasonably priced.

WOODIE13

Bone Collector said:
I was thinking the same thing. I might do it but I don't know about doing it as my first project. I just bought my burning tools yesterday afternoon.:banana: It's likely that I won't start until this weekend though. I work a long midnight shift and I'm usually ready for bed when I get home. Then when I wake up I'm just concentrating on getting ready for work and again and getting some food in my stomach. But I'm a little excited to get started. I may wind up just going to bed later after fiddling with everything.:fine:

I bought a woodburning kit for my nephew, too. He did a project with a Tweety Bird pattern. You know..."I tought I taw a puddy tat." But he messed up when transferring and wound up only doing Tweety and left out the background. He really likes it though. He's 15 now and I just want to give him something to do so that he stays out of trouble. I got a few more ideas for him, too.

I live in Monticello close to Lake Jackson in Turtle Cove.

Were do you get your pieces of wood from? I got one from the craft store, but I'd like to find another source that is more reasonably priced.

Just start out small at first, do a little at a time and it will be fine. Burn out is a tough thing to face with a new hobby. I do it alot, but the wife tells me I should enjoy it, but the Army has engrained in me, Git R Done:whip: and I start a piece and finish it within a couple days. Just my way of relaxing.

Normally, I (or the wife) hit Micheals, Hobby Lobby, or Wallmart. Sometimes you can get a real deal on the material, but let the wood speak to you. The hightlights will let you know if each piece is right or not. Check the clearance rack, you never know...

You are not too far from Stockbridge, hit me with a PM and maybe we can shoot the bull.

WOODIE13

BC,
Back at you:)