generac home generator?

BriarPatch99

Just an idea and certainly not an "automatic" one ...

But you guys that own a tractor ....can purchase a PTO generator ...

I see WinCo 15 KW (30 HP tractor)for less than $2000 ....

27 KW for about $3000

agri Supply has a 15 Kw with frame & shaft for $1639

Last edited:

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Sounds like I'm sold on the generac 22kw propain

Shop around bro, you can buy one from a big box store, pay somebody to install, electrician to wire in, and a propane tank. Shop shop shop!!

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Just an idea and certainly not an "automatic" one ...

But you guys that own a tractor ....can purchase a PTO generator ...

I see WinCo 15 KW (30 HP tractor)for less than $2000 ....

27 KW for about $3000

agri Supply has a 15 Kw with frame & shaft for $1639

Mr. Jimmy, who wants to burn diesel and listen to a tractor all day/ night ??? lol Love ya bro !! You're up to $7k ???

sleepr71

Quack,22kw is a big unit. Wonder how long a 250 gal Propane tank (or even a 100 gal tank..that you could take & get filled)..will run your generator ? Have you ran it yet,for days..for a week? Just curious,as I think Propane is probably THE way to go for less muss & fuss. I don’t see my wifey going out at 3 am,when it’s 10* & re-fueling our generator. It’s hard enough to get them commited to cutting & stacking firewood for backup for the few really cold nights we have here in mid-GA? I’m from Milledgeville ..which Gas Co sells/services these propane deals? Thanks man!

sleepr71

The WORST generator I’ve used for an extended time was a big Lincoln Welder/Generator combo. It put out plenty of juice.. but I don’t think we were able to sleep for the NOISE! Or worrying about It running out of gas every 3-4 hours. Diesel would probably be my next choice(behind Propane). It’s just too easy to set up a 300-500 gal tank & plumb it to the Generator,if needed?

Big7

The Oracle
I don't have a Generac, just a Cat gas generator as backup for electric company power. In my case I got gas because I have in ground utilities that have not failed through three hurricanes. And because I can store the generator in the garage with an empty tank and keep gas cans full of fresh gas simply by pouring the cans in my autos and filling the empty cans up every month. Less hassle, cheaper, and gets the job done. If I need the Cat, I'll just roll it out behind the house, plug it in to house power, fuel it and fire it up. I will be limited to 48 hours run time from the gas cans, and another 30 hours pumping fuel from the cars.

Remember propane will be the most stable for long term storage and one large propane tank should provide many days of fuel. Diesel is better than gas, but will need stabilizers and should be pumped through a filter and water separator every few months if not used. So if you need backup power only - your choices will be propane or regular work to keep the fuel usable.

That's solid advise. I had a 4000 watt 5250 Spike Generac that came with it's own trolly or hand truck, which ever you want to call it. (gas)

It powered my 30ft Starcraft as long as you didn't run the microwave while the air was on. Served me well for 5 years.

IMO.. The propane or lp would be cleaner on you and the unit. The cost fluctuates wildly if you are going to use it full time. My second choice would be gas just because it's available and easy to scavenge if it came to that. It has a decent energy density.

Me thinks the best for powering a full size house for long periods would be a commercial diesel. Great energy-efficient and density. The only downsides to diesel is the fuel and exaust stinks to high Heaven. They will rattle a little until the valves are worn in a little. And... Rattle more later with some hours on it.

Big7

The Oracle
We run a Harbor Freight genny, for about $10-$15 a day.

How many watts cruising and what is the spike? Sounds like it meets your needs.
I'm back in town right now. Prolly the noise ordnance would get me if I ran it just to be off the grid. If it was a storm or something, they would turn a blind eye.... OR.. Ask for an outlet.? Which is fine by me. We were out of power for 4 days during the string of tornadoes that hit Monroe in 91' or 92'. That's been a long time. You will be surprised how many friends you have when something like that happens. We stayed in a 16ft hunting camper during that time. The smaller generator worked well for that. It was also very portable and house to house we went to run several neighbors fridge and freezer a few hours at the time to keep food spoilage down. It was all good. Glad I could help folks less prepared.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Mr. Jimmy, who wants to burn diesel and listen to a tractor all day/ night ??? lol Love ya bro !! You're up to $7k ???

I bet you'd loved to "heard" a tractor running outside that fish camp ....right??

???????? I am saying emergency use ....

I have to run a generator about three times a year ...mostly due to the wind blowing trees on the lines .....the longest was seven days for a hurricane from the gulf coast.

With some under ground cable ....you can put a little distance between a tractor and the house.

But mostly I am cheap !!!! I like cheap ideas ...that work !!!

Your setup is the cat's meow compared my 5.5 KW .... I kept the 2 freezers cold, refrigerator cold ...had satellite tv .... Deep well pressure and most important ....internet all over the house!!! Cooked some good meals on propane stove!

Last edited:

longrangedog

22kw Generac cost about 6k and is backup to electric company power. Runs everything (propane heat, stove, water heater, 1000 gal tank already in the ground). You can go larger to a Generac powered by a water cooled auto engine for a lot more $. The larger model requires a small crane to set it in. The 22k air cooled suits our needs in the north Georgia mountains.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Quack,22kw is a big unit. Wonder how long a 250 gal Propane tank (or even a 100 gal tank..that you could take & get filled)..will run your generator ? Have you ran it yet,for days..for a week? Just curious,as I think Propane is probably THE way to go for less muss & fuss. I don’t see my wifey going out at 3 am,when it’s 10* & re-fueling our generator. It’s hard enough to get them commited to cutting & stacking firewood for backup for the few really cold nights we have here in mid-GA? I’m from Milledgeville ..which Gas Co sells/services these propane deals? Thanks man!

Longest my Generac has run is 3 days, and didn't even knock a dent in propane. PM sent.

7 point

I went to Lowe's today and gave them my info there going to have a contractor contact me next week.

7 point

Got the contractor coming out Thursday to give me a qoute .

arrendale8105

I am a Generac dealer and we install 4-6 air cooled units a week mostly 22kw air cooled units and have hundreds on service contracts. The last 3 years of being affected with hurricanes every year they have become extremely popular. I’ve asked several people who have ran for days and weeks on there units what they averaged and probably 90% of them figured they averaged 1.5-2 gallons of propane per hour. Cheaper than a hotel.

7 point

Lowe's came out today they gave me a qoute of $9,700 and it was only a 16kw .I'm checking some local electric shops