George L. Smith State Park

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
We really enjoyed the trip. The campground was nice and well kept. This place is a kayakers dream come come true... there are several miles of kayak trails in the lake and we could see them through the trees most of the day. The covered bridge/grist mill was interesting, we spent a fair amount of time poking around it and did a little fishing. I did ride to the cabins... they are nicely tucked backed in the woods and looked really nice if you don't have a camper or RV. I would go back again

Ocmulgee44

Great video, sir! I have paddled in there too and need to revisit it.

My father grew up in Emanuel county. He was stationed out west during WW II in either Texas or Nebraska studying B-29s and getting ready to ship to the Mariana Islands. He got some down time and went to the picture show. He got an unexpected surprise. They showed a short news reel of a draining and seining of Parrish Mill pond AKA Watson pond now on GLS State Park. Must have been a good'n to get coverage that far away!

Artfuldodger

Great video, sir! I have paddled in there too and need to revisit it.

My father grew up in Emanuel county. He was stationed out west during WW II in either Texas or Nebraska studying B-29s and getting ready to ship to the Mariana Islands. He got some down time and went to the picture show. He got an unexpected surprise. They showed a short news reel of a draining and seining of Parrish Mill pond AKA Watson pond now on GLS State Park. Must have been a good'n to get coverage that far away!

He may have gone to Sheppard Field in Texas. It was originally and Army Air Corp training center for B-29's. My dad went there for mechanic school before heading to England.

Some people I knew around Augusta used to go every year when they drained it to get fish. Interesting about the news reel at the picture show.