GEORGIA 186 point stud from Harris county GEORGIA

ucfireman

Trophy hunting doesn’t help with “hunter opportunity” plus for $44 million they could buy a lot more land elsewhere than just 7,500 acres. That would be a whole lot of “hunter opportunity”

True but someone posted its the largest tract for sale "now" in Ga. So yeah we could buy more smaller parcels but wouldn't 1 large tract be easier to manage?
Plus its closer to Atlanta (and middle of the state) than say way south Ga land so a lot more folks could access it. I bet even from the furthest parts its not more than 3 hrs. Unlike driving 6-7 from north Ga to some where in way south Ga.
I didn't say anything about "hunter opportunity" other than this would make a nice WMA. Which means hunting would be allowed.
BF Grant was "trophy managed" so why not buy this and have a small quota for "trophy opportunity?"

I don’t know why anybody would have a problem with you asking the government to use money they took from other people to buy more hunting property for you.

And you, or anyone else that would like to use it.
Once its "public" the public can use it.
So yes, use public money they took from me and you and millions of others to buy and protect land (before the developers get it) for me and you and the public to use and enjoy.
Plus save some land from the bull dozer and for the liberals maybe help with climate change .

Anyone else?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
True but someone posted its the largest tract for sale "now" in Ga. So yeah we could buy more smaller parcels but wouldn't 1 large tract be easier to manage?
Plus its closer to Atlanta (and middle of the state) than say way south Ga land so a lot more folks could access it. I bet even from the furthest parts its not more than 3 hrs. Unlike driving 6-7 from north Ga to some where in way south Ga.
I didn't say anything about "hunter opportunity" other than this would make a nice WMA. Which means hunting would be allowed.
BF Grant was "trophy managed" so why not buy this and have a small quota for "trophy opportunity?"

And you, or anyone else that would like to use it.
Once its "public" the public can use it.
So yes, use public money they took from me and you and millions of others to buy and protect land (before the developers get it) for me and you and the public to use and enjoy.
Plus save some land from the bull dozer and for the liberals maybe help with climate change .

Anyone else?
My post wasn’t directed at you. Sorry.
“Hunter opportunity” has been the Dnr hunting management philosophy for years and has resulted in properties going from good to average at best.

If they bought that property and opened up wide open to anything in season to give “Hunter opportunity” at any time in about 2-3 years it would be like any other timber lease where brown is down.
Hunter opportunity just means somebody got to go hunting and might kill something. Doesn’t matter if it’s a triply buck or a spike. You got to kill something

If you owned an adjacent parcel to this piece of property The last person you’d want to buy that place would be the state of Georgia

Reactions: six

ucfireman

^^^^^
Agree, I guess I misunderstood your view point.
I would not want to see it open to general hunting.
Small quota for deer, to keep the age structure in place. Manage the fields (food plots) and timber (within reason).
Allow for limited days of small game, maybe make those quota too.

It could be a great parcel for the state to manage as a "hunters WMA" instead of the anything goes as most WMAs are.

NBN

The State could never put anywhere close to the money that goes into those deer. They have proven that a great amount of money and a mass amount of land with the same objectives from all its neighbors will grow those deer. Some you never hear about! I’ve hunted land all around them and still never see the type deer they grow.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The State could never put anywhere close to the money that goes into those deer. They have proven that a great amount of money and a mass amount of land with the same objectives from all its neighbors will grow those deer. Some you never hear about! I’ve hunted land all around them and still never see the type deer they grow.
I agree. And I want to add to all this—I did not mean my post as a slap to the guys and gals that work at DNR WRD they do the best with what they’re given. But their budget and manpower has been cut so low in the last 20 years there is no way they can keep up. It’s pitiful. The state gets control of more land yet doesn’t (won’t) budget the money to allow them to manage it like it needs to be managed.
they have the people with the ability and desire to make our WMA system much better but the ones that control the nurse strings refuse to give them the $ to do it