BornToHuntAndFish

Are there any deer left in Hancock Co?

Any left in Burke County?

icon5.gif

mattuga

Banned
Any left in Burke County?

icon5.gif

Yes, I saw 32 deer in 4 sits this weekend on a high deer pop piece of property but I didn't know the County had #'s killed like that. The only 2 mature sized deer I saw both skirted the food plots to a T. Me thinks some areas of the state will have less reporting due to a general mindset against this sort of thing and these areas tend to have a lot of deer.

chase870

Possum Sox
The app a esses all your cell data off your phone as well so it should have a idea off all your info pics with locations and all text and on and on and on

hobbs27

Are there any deer left in Hancock Co?

It depends on where in Hancock you are. Some clubs are managing well, some are not. There's a huge and very noticeable decline in population since it went to a quality buck county allowing doe day every day.

I have one club beside me that shoots every doe they see, and one on the other side that shoot every buck with 4points on one side.

In four years of leasing my property I let my daughter take one doe, I took one buck with bow and a friend took one buck..so.e days I never see a deer.

hobbs27

I like the new system. All that is lacking is public record of who is tagging the deer.

If I suspect someone is taking deer without tagging , I would like to look them up to see what they have tagged.

Help us help you.

Matt.M

Anyone having a tough time entering the dates for your birthday or the date you shot your deer? On my Droid and a buddy's, it's a big ordeal to get the dates in there. It's the 3rd entry being a pain, month is find but the day is causing the problem.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Anyone having a tough time entering the dates for your birthday or the date you shot your deer? On my Droid and a buddy's, it's a big ordeal to get the dates in there. It's the 3rd entry being a pain, month is find but the day is causing the problem.

The phone in system has some obvious issues.

It took me 2 calls and 4 trys to enter the info.

I have a droid as well and thought my phone was glitching out.

Buzz

So now that we've had nearly a season in the books - I'm curious what the thoughts are on the harvest?

Having looked on the site and pulled the previous years harvests we had 386k deer killed in 2012, 453k in 2013, 412k in 2014, and 363k in 2015. Right now according to the deer map - as of 12/8 there have been 139,688 deer harvested.

There is a month left of the season but I'd have to think the last month would by far be the slowest month. Do we think compliance is relatively low for the first year or do we think the harvest is down significantly from years past?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Charlie,

Why have those doing data entry not entered all kills on all public areas yet? For instance there are only 5 deer total entered from Hard Labor creek State Park.

Information posted here stated many more than that.

hullender

is there a way to see how many bucks were took by date in a county. that would be good info for vacation days next year.

ProAngler

So now that we've had nearly a season in the books - I'm curious what the thoughts are on the harvest?

Having looked on the site and pulled the previous years harvests we had 386k deer killed in 2012, 453k in 2013, 412k in 2014, and 363k in 2015. Right now according to the deer map - as of 12/8 there have been 139,688 deer harvested.

There is a month left of the season but I'd have to think the last month would by far be the slowest month. Do we think compliance is relatively low for the first year or do we think the harvest is down significantly from years past?

I was just looking at this myself and wondering what was up? I think it has to be a compliance issue. A lot of hunters in my club had never even heard of the new system. The ones I told about it just acted annoyed they had to register them this way, and I'm guessing never did it. Drives me crazy when people act like ignorance is a legit reason not to follow new hunting refs. Like they expect a game warden to come knock on everyone's door explaining the system otherwise it's the DNR fault for not letting them know.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie,

Why have those doing data entry not entered all kills on all public areas yet? For instance there are only 5 deer total entered from Hard Labor creek State Park.

Information posted here stated many more than that.

Deer from check-in hunts aren't supposed to be entered into Game Check.

Buzz

I was just looking at this myself and wondering what was up? I think it has to be a compliance issue. A lot of hunters in my club had never even heard of the new system. The ones I told about it just acted annoyed they had to register them this way, and I'm guessing never did it. Drives me crazy when people act like ignorance is a legit reason not to follow new hunting refs. Like they expect a game warden to come knock on everyone's door explaining the system otherwise it's the DNR fault for not letting them know.

Interesting - none of the coolers in our area will take the deer without the game check number so some of the "holdouts" learned to become compliant very quick.

I'm glad we have this system now, I've been hoping we could get this kind of county / granular data for years and years.

ProAngler

I'm glad we have this system now, I've been hoping we could get this kind of county / granular data for years and years.

I agree assuming it is accurate. When I first heard about I was very excited. I'm just concerned about the numbers. Being so low on the new system compared to the old.

cowhornedspike

I agree assuming it is accurate. When I first heard about I was very excited. I'm just concerned about the numbers. Being so low on the new system compared to the old.

I don't think they expected full or even 50% participation the first few years. I believe I remember reading where it took about 5 years for other states that use this system to get to the desired participation level and then it will never be 100%...my bet is around 80 is as good as it will ever be. But that's a BUNCH more data than we have ever had available before!

ProAngler

I don't think they expected full or even 50% participation the first few years. I believe I remember reading where it took about 5 years for other states that use this system to get to the desired participation level and then it will never be 100%...my bet is around 80 is as good as it will ever be. But that's a BUNCH more data than we have ever had available before!

Great perspective. Thanks! This makes a lot of sense