Georgia quota systems is terrible

Would you pay a small fee if you got chosen for a quote hunt

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

BearHands

If you put in for a hunt with 4 points and another guy puts in for the same hunt with 1 point. He is not going to be drawn ahead of you.

There are lots of hunts that take 0 or 1 point, but there are some that are going to take several points to draw, but everyone drawn is going to have wagered enough to get that hunt.

This is not entirely true. The ga quota system as explained to me by a dnr working a quota hunt one year. And by experience. Is a raffle system. Not a true point allocation system.
So for easy numbers sake. Let’s say the quota hunt is 10 people. There a 5 people who apply with zero points wagered. 3 people apply with 1 point wagered and 2 with 2 points wagered. They would actually draw the names from a total pot of 17 spots. The guys wagering points just get their name in the raffle an extra time for each point they wager. This has actually happened to my group of hunters. At hard labor creek a few years ago. One of the group got the hunt wagering one point while the other two wagering 3 points did not get selected. If they change anything I believe that it should be a true point system. So if the hunt is 100 people. You should start with the person wagering the most points and work your way backwards until the quota is reached. Please correct me if I am wrong but this is the way I understand the system to function

This is not entirely true. The ga quota system as explained to me by a dnr working a quota hunt one year. And by experience. Is a raffle system. Not a true point allocation system.
So for easy numbers sake. Let’s say the quota hunt is 10 people. There a 5 people who apply with zero points wagered. 3 people apply with 1 point wagered and 2 with 2 points wagered. They would actually draw the names from a total pot of 17 spots. The guys wagering points just get their name in the raffle an extra time for each point they wager. This has actually happened to my group of hunters. At hard labor creek a few years ago. One of the group got the hunt wagering one point while the other two wagering 3 points did not get selected. If they change anything I believe that it should be a true point system. So if the hunt is 100 people. You should start with the person wagering the most points and work your way backwards until the quota is reached. Please correct me if I am wrong but this is the way I understand the system to function

Completely not true

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

The DNR person you spoke with was misinformed unfortunately. Priority points put you in line in front of others wagering fewer points.

groundhawg

Need the name of the person working with the "DNR quota hunt" that gave you this information, points do matter.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Most DNR agents don’t know the difference between a green winged teal and a mourning dove and you expect them to understand statistics and weighted averages? The more points wagered, the higher the chances of getting drawn.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
When I applied for Ft. Perry quota hunt, I wagered 3 points, got drawn and was only charged 1 point.

The Mistletoe State Park hunt I wagered 3, was drawn and was charged the 3 points.

Sixes

When I applied for Ft. Perry quota hunt, I wagered 3 points, got drawn and was only charged 1 point.

The Mistletoe State Park hunt I wagered 3, was drawn and was charged the 3 points.
That is a good thing the system does now, from what I understand, it only uses the maximum number of points needed to draw the hunt and "saves" the rest of the points. It used to be if you wagered 5 and it only took 3, then you still lost the 5.

The DNR has done a great job on their system.

Ray357

AWOL
The quota system we have in Georgia is terrible. I don’t understand why the state doesn’t say if you get pick there is a fee for your spot an for the ones who choose not to pay,there spot comes open for the same fee. I mean think about this the money they will receive can go right back into the places we want to hunt for things like food plots,help with the roads..etc. I have been on several quota hunts an it always seems that the number of people who get pick are not the same number of people who actually show up. Take B.F Grant for instance all the times I have been there the numbers never match. Gator hunting is the same way we have zones that don’t have hardly any public water. Like for Instant zone four terrible zone to hunt. Plus not to mention I think the license fee is a bit much I mean it’s more then a sportsman license.sorry for the long post but has been on my mind for a while
Because most everything Georgia does is handled on the most stupid way possible.

If this is true some people with zero points would be drawn for hunts that need at least 2 points you can look at the draw results and tell this is not correct