Georgia river Agatized Fossils?

Artfuldodger

I've been reading about agatized fossils, etc. in Georgia rivers. Various forms of Chalcedony and Chert covered in druzy Quartz. Agatized coral and shells, etc.

The Withlacoochee River near Quitman, Georgia is mentioned a lot. I've seen some field trip reports. Also the Savannah River has what is known as Savannah River Agates. I've also seen some reports of stuff found in the Ocmulgee River and up in Houston county.

Artfuldodger

Was also wondering if permits are required for rocks or fossils, not relics. If one was really interested in the legality aspect of it. I know there is a road near Girard, Ga where you can look on the right of way. Not sure about river beds though.

They might say you are messing up the environment or causing erosion.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ll not give away river names or locations, as to agatized coral, petrified wood, druzy quartz crystals, and numerous other treasures, yes.

Artfuldodger

Also if one found such a section of a river that they thought was undiscovered with such geology, that may benefit science, who would they contact?
I would also assume that once you contacted the state, your honey hole of fossilized rocks may come to an end.

One may have to decide if it best left as a secret to collect or turn it over to the state for science.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Also if one found such a section of a river that they thought was undiscovered with such geology, that may benefit science, who would they contact?
I would also assume that once you contacted the state, your honey hole of fossilized rocks may come to an end.

One may have to decide if it best left as a secret to collect or turn it over to the state for science.

I`ll die and go to the grave without giving away any secrets or locations to the state.

Artfuldodger

I`ll not give away river names or locations, as to agatized coral, petrified wood, druzy quartz crystals, and numerous other treasures, yes.

That's kind of my thoughts as well. River names maybe, but not locations. One particular river in question, someone else has found something but not me. They were just asking my advice as a Rockhound.
I'm not sure where or how to lead them. It's not a river that people don't already know about, just a location on one. I don't even know the location. They just showed me some nice pictures of agatized stuff they found. Not really my specialty. Looks similar to Savannah River Agate. Probably chert with druzy quartz and some agate looking stuff with bands.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Agate is one of those terms like flint. What people think it is and say it is may be two different things.

If you want to get technical, the only place true flint is found in this hemisphere is Georgetown Texas. And it looks so much like English flint that you can`t hardly tell the two apart.

Artfuldodger

I`ll die and go to the grave without giving away any secrets or locations to the state.
I think I'll just tell them that once they tell the state, it'll be over for them. They think it's more useful to science than what I think. We already know South Georgia was under water and the Suwanee Current flowed from the Gulf to the Atlantic over South Georgia.

I don't see it as a great find for science. If they would like to continue to pic up stuff there (and take me,lol) they'd best just not tell anyone.

Artfuldodger

If you want to get technical, the only place true flint is found in this hemisphere is Georgetown Texas. And it looks so much like English flint that you can`t hardly tell the two apart.
I'm a member on a Rock Identification Facebook page and I'm amazed at what people think flint and agate is. It's a relatively new hobby for me, but I have learned enough to know that most of what they think it is, isn't.

People are also obsessed with meteorites. I have read about tektites and Georgiaites from around Empire, Chester, and Cochran that look like glass.
Meteroites do exist but most of what people find are just plain old iron rocks.

Artfuldodger

I've seen some pictures of petrified wood from the Alapaha River. I've never even thought to look for any of this stuff on my river trips. May have to pay more attention now.

Tom W.

Uchee creek and points south have given up dinosaur bones for some time now. One kid found a huge bone in Quitman county, just outside of the wildlife refuge.

westcobbdog

The treasure hoard book does have a few stories of buried treasures but its also a lot about various interesting rock types located in areas around the state.