Georgia Spanish Mackerel

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I've got a good handle on catching them in the gulf, but what about the Georgia coast inside the barrier islands? I troll for them in FL in the bay on steep slopes, but not sure how to go after them in GA and what to look for.

BG77

No steep slopes around here Charlie! I’ve done well with them at KC Buoy (8 miles out) and in. Best bet this time of year would be to run the buoys on the shipping channels. Won’t see many birds diving on the shipping channels but you will be able to clearly see the bait blitz as they get whacked from a school of Spanish.

GSUbackwoods

In the summer months you can catch a school in the sounds, but not like the schools you will find at the nearshore reefs.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
For several years we had a rip in a sound that produced Spanish. The fish were keying on small squid and minnows. Shipping channels near the ocean also produce but heads must be on swivels for shipping activity. The sound rip was shallow enough to anchor my 15' Scout and we'd have great trips pitching lures on spinning rods or flies on fly rods to them. Every now and then, a king or tarpon would sky rocket but we never had a take on those. Gil

Not trying to rob your post but while you're on the topic. I am curious can they be caught in the sound consistently or would i need to go further out for better results.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Not trying to rob your post but while you're on the topic. I am curious can they be caught in the sound consistently or would i need to go further out for better results.

That's my thought, I'm trying keep from going offshore.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've seen Spanish activity just off the beaches. You don't need deep water or out of sight of land to find them. You'll see birds or fish crashing bait. Sound fishing is inconsistent at best.

Last edited:

BG77

That's my thought, I'm trying keep from going offshore.
Where the “sound” meets the offshore here in Savannah is is delineated by the “Sea Buoy”. It’s about 3 miles off and well within sight of land. There are a few shipping cans along this line. Look for bait balls. As an added bonus, stop at each can and look for tripletail this time of year. But you would be better off actually running the cans on the real Savannah River shipping channel. As always, where there’s Spanish there’s a snake king or two. Give it a try. The cans are an all or nothing this time of year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a try the next time I'm down there.