Get Checked. It Ain't Bad and It Could Save Your Life.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The procedure is not bad, they say count to 10 and by the time you get to 5 you are waking up in a recovery room. The prep used to be terrible, but if you ask for it, they will give you a prep, that is like two doses.

Tom W.

My Dr. Told me 50, and they found a few benign polyps. I went back Evey 5 years and still looking good. Then one day it turned out to be bad. I still have a bit less than half of my large intestine left and a bit of the small is missing too. I'm guessing the doctors got all of that stuff out, he told me that if It was the last time I could get surgery.
having chronic green apple quick step for the last three years ain't fun. But the folks at Quilted Northern love me!

gunnurse

With versed and propofol and conscious sedation, it’s like a very, very sweet dream. To prep, try going with soft food (soups) 3 days prior to procedure. Two days prior to procedure, go all liquids. Day prior to procedure, go liquids, then take your prescribed perp until clear. Nothing by mouth after midnight. Easy peasy. This procedure has literally saved my life three times. All three colonoscopies pre-adenomatous (think cancer) polyps removed on three successive colonoscopies. My grandfather died of colon cancer, my mother had colon cancer, and I was next. JUST DO IT!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My Dr. Told me 50, and they found a few benign polyps. I went back Evey 5 years and still looking good. Then one day it turned out to be bad. I still have a bit less than half of my large intestine left and a bit of the small is missing too. I'm guessing the doctors got all of that stuff out, he told me that if It was the last time I could get surgery.
having chronic green apple quick step for the last three years ain't fun. But the folks at Quilted Northern love me!

they took out about a foot of my lower intestine. When you say the word rectum everyone thinks of the anus, but the rectum is the storage area just before the anus. The rectum has the ability to stretch and acts as a variable storage area for your waste. They removed mine, so I too have that quickstep some days. Other days, I am fine. The worst part of this issue is having an irritated, sore rear.

All kinds of pain and sorrow can be avoided with a simple procedure

zedex

Gator Bait
best nap you will ever take.

you start getting sleepy, and you wake up 45 minutes later in another room

I agree it's a great nap. Your entire body is so relaxed. Will be the only time in your adult life where you sleep so hard and peacefully.

When they put me under for hip replacement, I was given an injection in my lower back and when I woke up, I was in recovery. The time I was out seemed like no time at all. I thought they decided not to do the surgery. Amazingly enough, over 9 hours had passed.

zedex

Gator Bait
Talked with my uncle tonight. He is 73 and a really stand up guy.

Was talking about this thread. He also suggested that since I get heartburn pretty frequently, I should also get a endoscopy. Hadn't thought about this. He has had it done a few times through the VA.

His suggestion was to made sure they change the tubes.....?.

To be honest, having a prostate exam the first time was, in doctor terms, "uncomfortable". Yea... very much so.
My dr has chubby fingers.

Good luck graced me since then. My dr has a little Chinese woman for an assistant. Her fingers are more anorexic, pencil thin. Not pleasurable, but no "discomfort" like before

ky55

GreenPig

I've never been "put under". Kinda scared of it.....
Get it done. It's no big deal. Little funny story. In for my first colonoscopy I was laying there on my left side resting my hands on the bed rail and jokingly told the anesthesiologist that they my want to handcuff me. He laughed, I laughed then everything faded to black. I wake up in recovery and minutes later the doctor comes in and is laughing because when he got started the 3 folks in the room had to call for help to keep me on the table. When I went for the 2nd the anesthesiologist made sure I was out cold. I laugh at the thought of those folks trying to wrestle my 270 lb naked power lifting self. Like I said no big deal.

Turpentine

Having to put your life in some one else's hands is a huge deal!
Having to do that while unconscious and on an operation table is no less a deal. And that's just the beginning of it.

I wouldn't be laughing, ain't no telling what they did to you once you were under.

GreenPig

Having to put your life in some one else's hands is a huge deal!
Having to do that while unconscious and on an operation table is no less a deal. And that's just the beginning of it.

I wouldn't be laughing, ain't no telling what they did to you once you were under.
If you drive then your life is constantly in other people hands at at 50 -60 mph head on at 3' apart.

zedex

Gator Bait
If you drive then your life is constantly in other people hands at at 50 -60 mph head on at 3' apart.

Yep. And all we have between our vehicle and the oncoming one is a little yellow line painted on the road... thats called "faith"

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I'm due for one being 52. I didn't know John was battling cancer. He was always a stand up racer. So sorry to hear

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
put mine off til 55 and a trip to the er...they found a tumor in my colon...had emergency surgery to remove it...had to have a colostomy...under went 12 chemo treatments...another colonoscopy...colostomy reversle...and went yesterday for a consultation fro another colonoscopy...all goes well I wont have another for 3 years...I have been declared cancer free for 1 year...all could have been avoided if I had the colonoscopy at age 50......DO IT