Get ready for the Joro spider invasion.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Regular apple cider I drink straight. Bragg`s apple cider with the "Mother" I mix with orange juice or grape juice. I tried it straight it nearly burned a hole in my swaller pipe.

Swaller pipe. :rofl:

Tried it with some cranberry juice, but that was awful. Orange juice may be the way to go.

sleepr71

I’m pretty particular about Spiders & Ticks. I’ve seen multiple times what a Brown Recluse & Black Widows do to human flesh..and it’s BAD?. I’ve seen what Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever does to a person…and that is a LONG,rough,road. Trust me..you don’t want either. Protect yourself accordingly !!

Rich M

We got the banana spiders down here and it really sucks to walk straight into a web and have this spider trapped against yer face. You start walking around with a stick held up in front of yer face after a time or two.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Ticks are worse. I'll take 10,000 spiders over one tick any day. At least chiggers won't make you allergic to red meat.
Had seed ticks on me the last 2 days from my yard. Hate em

six

Is this one? If so it caused me to dismount a moving 4-wheeler a few minutes ago and nailing a routine and sticking the landing worthy of at least a bronze medal. This is in Barbour county Al. I did this despite having the twisties like an unnamed Olympic gymnast. I had no idea where my body was at but still nailed it without injury. This spider looks different than the one the OP posted, but I have no idea. I do know if they had thrown one of these on that unnamed gymnast she would have gotten through her routines and brought home the gold.

Attachments

• 829C1984-B764-4320-9633-83B51F05C129.jpeg
    829C1984-B764-4320-9633-83B51F05C129.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 56

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Is this one? If so it caused me to dismount a moving 4-wheeler a few minutes ago and nailing a routine and sticking the landing worthy of at least a bronze medal. This is in Barbour county Al. I did this despite having the twisties like an unnamed Olympic gymnast. I had no idea where my body was at but still nailed it without injury. This spider looks different than the one the OP posted, but I have no idea. I do know if they had thrown one of these on that unnamed gymnast she would have gotten through her routines and brought home the gold.

That`s the kind that wraps our swamp up. I think that`s the golden orb weaver, but I`m no expert on spiders, other than getting bit twice in the last two years by brown widows.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
That`s the kind that wraps our swamp up. I think that`s the golden orb weaver, but I`m no expert on spiders, other than getting bit twice in the last two years by brown widows.
Bit by a brown widow? How'd that feel?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bit by a brown widow? How'd that feel?

It weren`t much fun, about like a guinea wasp sting, except that it bothered me for about a week, both times. Both bites were on my trigger finger, about a year apart. I kept putting turpentine to em and they finally healed up.

The spiders succumbed to the encounters. Generally if something bites me, it`s gonna die.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Property was covered in something similar 2 seasons ago. I carried a long barrel 22LR and popped them off the webs on my trails. Couldn't stand them. One wrapping my face and crawling all over my head and back after driving thru on a 4 wheeler was once enough for me. They looked the same but not striped.
You actually shoot spiders? With a gun?

Stonewall 2

I’m in Jackson Co. my house and shop and power lines were covered up last year but for whatever reason haven’t had them yet. Those orange webs are incredibly strong. When I looked them up last year to see what they were the article I found said that hummingbirds have been caught in their webs.

I got my boys red rider BB gun out and had a blast shooting the ones I was able to. The rest got the ortho home defense.

UGA can say their not an issue. But let them start taking out hummingbirds and they will change thier tune. Went to check on one of stands this morning and probably took out thirty of them. Not that it's going to make a difference. In the picture is a group of about 11 of them, most I take out have a male and female together. If someone hasn't been to their hunting property in awhile they might have a surprise for them this year in my areas.

Attachments

• 20210814_085526.jpg
    20210814_085526.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 89

Duff

None of that stuff bothers me. Cept yeller jackets and hornets. Though I was going to die a couple of times from them things. Hate em

jrickman

I hunt my mother's property part of the season, down along a power line. Them Jaro spiders got in there last year and we had to go through there with a long stick knocking them all down the night before we would go sit in there because if you walked into one the hunt was ruined. They are so strong and sticky, if you wear glasses, you're going back to the truck. Even if you don't, you wont sit still until you've got a wet washcloth after it and scrubbed it all off. That stuff is like 2lb test fishing line dipped in Elmer's glue.

oldfella1962

When I was stationed in Korea I saw a few Joro spiders - not a fan of them to say the least. Thankfully they aren't indoor spiders but they do build webs around gazebos and picnic areas which is still pretty bad to me.

cself

Saw my first one on beaverdam wma in August of 2018 and can't believe how many I see now. I spray all the ones around my house (Athens area) I know it's pointless but every one I kill is a few hundred that don't get born I hope.

Wifeshusband

Another invasive, eh? Oh how the woods have changed (for the worse) since I was a boy. They've now documented the murder hornet in Oregon. Talk about something scary. They kill, on average, 40 people a year in Japan.

chiefbaron

Killed a 2nd Joro spider in my front yard this afternoon (north of Cleveland - adjacent to the Chattahoochee NF/WMA). So you can expect to see them in the NF/WMA. :mad: If it isn't trash from feral humans, it's one or another invasive plant/animal.

Waddams

I live in Lawrenceville. Have now found the joro spiders in my backyard. Have to have killed 100 of them so far this year. Spray 'em, smash 'em, etc. More just keep popping up. They're also all over every county park and trail my wife and I hit for our evening walks.

Too bad they don't seem to take a chunk out of the fly population, or the army worms. Think I got the army worms wiped out so far, but the flies are just unreal this year in the backyard. Worst year since we moved in 4 years ago. No idea where they're coming from, there's no water standing, no trash, I keep the grass well groomed. Have sprayed stuff all over a few times. Doesn't seem to make a difference. As near as I can tell, the neighbors haven't put out anything that would cause it either.