get the squid out

sentrysam

The Southern Kingfish (whiteing) are here fellers,ALL UP AND DOWN THE RIVERS,DONT NEED A BOAT,JUST A BUNCH OF DEAD SQUID And 2 OR 3 BUCKETS TO FILL .these fish are one of the better eating fish in the ocean.Carolina rig with your choice of hook ,remember to just keep your bait moveing ,slowly....ss

wharfrat

Do you fillet your whiting,or fry 'em whole?

Both!!! (if there is kids envolved i filet em. use your front teeth for gettin those last rib bones out. works on reds too.) forget about all that egg and milk batter and such. box of zatarins old fashioned, powder em up and fry em till they float. now i am hongry. they sure eat good!

Capt. Richie Lott

You aren't kiddin they're here.... I mean some good ones, too. Not much will eat better than an ole whiting. I am NOT above taking my 31 ft. boat to the whiting hole and fishing.... Was there last week, in fact....

hntr2k

To retrieve or not to retrieve...?

I read the original post in this thread and said to myself, "Self, what does he mean by pulling his bait through the water like a lure?"

I have been rigging chunks of squid on small (#1 or so) snell type hooks with about 2.5 to 3 ft of leader under a swivel - over the swivel I install whatever amount of weight is needed to keep the bait on the bottom depending on the tidal flow in an open sliding configuration. Meaning, the weight has no to limit toward the rod tip.

I then pitch it out behind the anchored boat - with the flow. Once the bait reaches the bottom and I can feel it, I release a few more feet of line to hopefully allow the bait to pull line through the sliding sinker and be out there away from the resistance and (again hopefully) fluttering around on and above the sand in the water flow.

I never once thought to actually retrieve it like a lure.

I had modest success with this method at all tide conditions and my family and I caught as many Whiting as we could eat in about four hours or so...maybe five.

I have heard that some boats are loading up with 100 or more Whiting in a day, but I really don't need to catch and keep that many. I just keep what I can eat and give back the rest.

So, (A) Is the configuration I described above considered a Carolina Rig? (I think it is or close to)

and (B) does slow retrieving produce a more active bite?

PaulD

Banned
Yes sir! Some fine eating, there are other things in there with them too. ;)

A carolina rig is basically an egg sinker above a swivel, attach a 2' piece of 12# fluro or mono to the other end of the swivel and then my personal choice on hooks is a #4 light wire hook of what ever brand you like.

Keeping it moving will keep the rays and trash fish off of it a little better.

fishdog

I would just as soon eat them as anything. They are good with lemon peper, a little butter and a slab of onion in the broiler.

stefan carter

i am goiong to go this weekend and try some i have a 16 ft jonboat and am putting in at hwy 17 is this a good place to go any help will be helpfull thanks

Stefan

sentrysam

slow

I read the original post in this thread and said to myself, "Self, what does he mean by pulling his bait through the water like a lure?"

I have been rigging chunks of squid on small (#1 or so) snell type hooks with about 2.5 to 3 ft of leader under a swivel - over the swivel I install whatever amount of weight is needed to keep the bait on the bottom depending on the tidal flow in an open sliding configuration. Meaning, the weight has no to limit toward the rod tip.

I then pitch it out behind the anchored boat - with the flow. Once the bait reaches the bottom and I can feel it, I release a few more feet of line to hopefully allow the bait to pull line through the sliding sinker and be out there away from the resistance and (again hopefully) fluttering around on and above the sand in the water flow.

I never once thought to actually retrieve it like a lure.

I had modest success with this method at all tide conditions and my family and I caught as many Whiting as we could eat in about four hours or so...maybe five.

I have heard that some boats are loading up with 100 or more Whiting in a day, but I really don't need to catch and keep that many. I just keep what I can eat and give back the rest.

So, (A) Is the configuration I described above considered a Carolina Rig? (I think it is or close to)

and (B) does slow retrieving produce a more active bite?

Keeping it moving will keep the rays and trash fish off of it a little better,,,,like egret says..slow retrieve ...Thats the way I was taught bout a 100 years ago.....ss

PaulD

Banned
Yep, If you're leaving out of Harris Neck it's a short, short run. There's another good place up there too.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
don't forget to fire up the grill and make an aluminum foil tent with butter, taters, mushrooms, squash, oh and more butter, and whiting and grill that....you'll know when its done!!

i've been catching whiting for 8 years and this is the first i here of the slow retrieve thing. i'm gonna try it to keep the sting-a-rays off my bait!!! sounds good......see this forum is working

Sharkfighter

i am goiong to go this weekend and try some i have a 16 ft jonboat and am putting in at hwy 17 is this a good place to go any help will be helpfull thanks

Stefan

Stefan, I am FAR from an expert. But if you mean the ramp on 17 across from Loves in Richmond Hill area then I would recommend driving just a few miles further and putting in at Ft McCalister Public Ramp.

I used to fish up by the highway 17 ramp on the ogeechee but didnt catch much but catfish.

I think the water is saltier below Ft MC A and I had better luck there.

Sharkfighter

Squid or shrimp for the whiting??

I found that peeled shrimp might work better but squid is always a good bet also. Will work on the slow retrieve thing.

Anyone else have a preference on squid over shrimp?

Mweathers

I am a peeled shrimp fan. Caught about 80 (mostly short) yesterday. Loads of fun. Small 2 hook on a short leader with a 2oz egg sinker above the swivel.

crackerdave

Seems like shrimp catch more,but squid stay on the hook better.Pinfish will eat a lot of shrimp in a hurry! I'd rather eat the shrimp than feed 'em to bait-stealin' pinfish.Don't care to eat any squid!:bounce:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
i prefer the peeled shrimp.
i think they both work great and i do like the way squid stays on better, especialy for me as a slowpoke. but i dont like the smell of them on my hands, and for so long after.