Getting into re-fletching my own arrows

hambone76

The cost of re-fletching arrows has convinced me that it’s time to start doing my own arrrows. The last half dozen I had done at a shop costed me $27. I have roughly 6 or 7 dozen arrows for the various bows that I shoot, not counting my Wife’s and kid’s bows/crossbows.
I got a used jig and clamps off of eBay for a steal of a price, ordered 100 feathers and some glue for initial startup.
I started last night and got a half dozen ready to roll before bedtime. I figured that the first dozen will almost pay for the initial cost of my jig and basic supplies.
My next step is to get a crester and a dip tube/drying rack set up.
These are 2016 Autumn Hunters, four fletched, 4” shield cut left wing for my backup bow. E94BD7E2-4852-43D3-BB43-24645F712503.jpeg

Hillbilly stalker

Nice job. Did you buy a Bitzenburger jig ? I've been using Super glue gel for several years now and like it on Aluminum and carbon. It's easy to find fresh bottles at Big stores.

hambone76

Nice job. Did you buy a Bitzenburger jig ? I've been using Super glue gel for several years now and like it on Aluminum and carbon. It's easy to find fresh bottles at Big stores.

Thanks!

No Sir, I bought a Bohning jig.
I figured I’d start out with that one and then upgrade if I decide to continue to fletch my own.

hambone76

Thanks y’all. I’m enjoying it so far. I shot the first half dozen and they fly like darts!
I’m going to shoot broadheads on them tomorrow and see how they fly.

devolve

I’ve had a jojan multi fletcher for 20 years or so. It works fantastic and does 6 arrows at a time.
It’s always nice to be able to do things yourself and not rely on a shop. ?

GregoryB.

It will definitely pay for its self in a short period if you shoot a lot. Started fletching my own in the early 90’s with a AZ easy fletch when I was shooting compound bows. Still have it and use it. Got a Jo Jan single fletcher around 2006 and it works great on big feathers and lots of helical. You can get some good color combos now.

hambone76

Just cranked out a few more.
Reflective yellow wraps with orange, 5” feathers.
All arrows are the same length, 4 of them have broadheads on them.
I found the wraps on eBay, price is good, it’s a US seller, he sent 4 extra wraps for free.
A82F4BE1-2D20-4351-B441-C8DB420CB39D.jpeg

With flash in pic below.
5D974A4E-9470-4339-9D70-6AC385913963.jpeg

Hillbilly stalker

Nice job ! You will get addicted to building your own. It seems to add something to your hunt. Hope you bloody up a couple this year. Good luck

hambone76

Nice job ! You will get addicted to building your own. It seems to add something to your hunt. Hope you bloody up a couple this year. Good luck
Thanks,
I am addicted already. I snagged 4 more Autumn Hunter 2018’s and got them fletched up the other day. Took a few shots to test them out and stay loose. 4 shots from 20 yards with the Dorado.

Attachments

• 2D25F215-B7E3-48A1-A43D-3CEA06E88FC6.jpeg
    2D25F215-B7E3-48A1-A43D-3CEA06E88FC6.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 7