Getting into reloading

Ugahunter2013

I have quite a bit of reloading equipment and also supplies, primers, etc. It was all given to me years back. Are there any books, videos, etc that you all would recommend for a beginner. I am talking about the very beginner stuff. I am primarily interested in shotgun and rifle reloading if that helps any.

Also, does anyone cast bullets anymore? I have heard there are health concerns with that, assuming it is related to melting lead. I have quite a good bit of lead at my disposal as well.

Gator89

The ABC's of Reloading is a good read.

Purchase at least one manual, Lyman is a good one.

Lot's of good information on bullet & powder company websites.

Youtube has good videos on how to setup dies, presses, etc.

You might find someone on here that is your neighbor that could be a mentor.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have quite a bit of reloading equipment and also supplies, primers, etc. It was all given to me years back. Are there any books, videos, etc that you all would recommend for a beginner. I am talking about the very beginner stuff. I am primarily interested in shotgun and rifle reloading if that helps any.

Also, does anyone cast bullets anymore? I have heard there are health concerns with that, assuming it is related to melting lead. I have quite a good bit of lead at my disposal as well.
Get whatever and however many vaious manufacturers manuals as you can. Sometimes you can find editions that are not too old cheaply online or at yard sales etc. Read them as often as you can and double check whatever you see or hear on the internet against those manuals. You will learn what works, what can work and what to absolutely never even try as you go.

Reactions: Dub

JR924

How much money are we talking about to say handload 2 rifle calibers just for the equipment? I guess you could go used. I know reloading supplies (bullets, power and primers) are hard to come by but I am assuming easier to get than ammo.

$500 for a decent setup.

I have about $1500 invested in all of mine and I have case trimmers, scales, and all kinds of cool stuff that is run mostly by electric to save time. Ask for a new piece every year for Christmas. Thats what I do. lol

ChidJ

Here's an easy to follow video. The dude is a shill and theres a lot of advertising stuff but the basics are there.

How much money is required depends on how fast or how precise you want to be.

Gator89

How much money are we talking about to say handload 2 rifle calibers just for the equipment? I guess you could go used. I know reloading supplies (bullets, power and primers) are hard to come by but I am assuming easier to get than ammo.

Except primers. The only primers I have seen on the shelf were stickered at $150 per thousand. The shop owner offered me some for $100 per K, but I passed.

A basic press, such as a Rock Chucker, dies, scales, calipers, powder dispenser of some sort, powder, basic case trimmer, primers & projectiles, manuals, ~$500 in normal times.

A progressive type press, closer to 1k to get started.

treemanjohn

Banned
Do yourself a favor and don't over think this. As Adam said you're far better off finding a mentor to help you along the way.

I'm not a 50 loading manual kind of guy and I teach people to start with a progressive. Luckily I was taught by my dad and didn't have the internet. Take your time. Load one component at a time

Enjoy

doomtrpr_z71

Do yourself a favor and don't over think this. As Adam said you're far better off finding a mentor to help you along the way.

I'm not a 50 loading manual kind of guy and I teach people to start with a progressive. Luckily I was taught by my dad and didn't have the internet. Take your time. Load one component at a time

Enjoy
This, it's so much easier to start with a progressive, and I run a Lee loadmaster so it was a little bit of a curve ball

BriarPatch99

I would disagree that it would be good idea for a beginner to start out with a progressive press ...

It will always be good to have a good single stage press around ....

Learn the full process on a SS and once you have mastered it ..... then move on to a progressive....

Just way too much that goes on with a progressive ...

Dub

I would disagree that it would be good idea for a beginner to start out with a progressive press ...

Learn the full process on a SS and once you have mastered it ..... then move on to a progressive....

(y)(y)(y)

Fears of double-charges keep me awake at night.

I thought I had good lighting on my progressive bench….then I added another row of shop lights.

A watchful eye….

RFWobbly

• The Progressive press is mainly aimed at the handgun shooter, who needs 100X more ammo than the average rifle shooter. I agree with this lot, choose any good, US-made, single-stage press (made anytime after 1970) and mount it to the sturdiest bench you have. Hang a 4ft LED "shop light over the bench and get to it.

• No video explains everything. You're always going to need (or at least want) a mentor. You can start by posting your general area of the State here. "Senior member from Georgia" isn't going to help you very much.

SakoL61R

This exactly, IMO.
Been reloading rifle-pistol-shotgun 50+ years. Single and progressive, multiple brands.
Get the best single stage you can afford for the start.
Read all you can.
A mentor is good. Daddy and his long time friend were mine.
Heed experience-based advice.
I pass it to my friends now.