Getting traps ready !

mossyoakpro

I get that about the coons...They will blow out a nice spot for sure.

Looks like a bomb went off most times....I just pull it and move away from that mess. I carry a rake to level it out but I don't reset that coon catch spot. I have never caught anything behind the mess those things make.

buckpasser

This was a coon remake from this week. It didn’t work out and wouldn’t really matter out of season anyway, but was within about an inch of success...

7F677B69-B0D4-404E-B953-028D4A76CFDF.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
This turned into a very informative post , thanks everyone and keep it coming ! Us newbies need all the help we can get .

mossyoakpro

I boxed half of my traps up today , ready to go in the dirt . I went with the traditional dye and wax . I think I may spray paint and wax the rest .View attachment 1091306

They look great!! I carry a knife in my trapping bucket to carve the wax out of the night latch...other than that they should be good to go...that trapping is addicting ain't it?? LOL

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
They look great!! I carry a knife in my trapping bucket to carve the wax out of the night latch...other than that they should be good to go...that trapping is addicting ain't it?? LOL
Yes it is , and very rewarding ! Just the thought of saving the lives of fawns and turkeys that I put so much effort, time and money into makes the hard work worth it . And thanks for the tip , I’ve been using a little small wire brush that works pretty good

mossyoakpro

Yes it is , and very rewarding ! Just the thought of saving the lives of fawns and turkeys that I put so much effort, time and money into makes the hard work worth it . And thanks for the tip , I’ve been using a little small wire brush that works pretty good

I just have one of those cheap gas station pocket knives in my bucket...if I lose it, it's not a problem to replace it.

Mike81

They look great , and no need to cut anything off . You’ll probably find out that you don’t need to drive them in all the way. I trap in red clay and only drive mine in about 8-10 in . They came with the anchor already attached ? I’ve only ordered from one place but always had to purchase j hooks to attach my anchor .
I pulled a trap today in a location I did not like. It is red clay. My chains are 14” i believe. It absolutly sucked getting that anchor out. Definatly going to cut my chains down more.

Doug B.

I pulled a trap today in a location I did not like. It is red clay. My chains are 14” i believe. It absolutly sucked getting that anchor out. Definatly going to cut my chains down more.
Ha ha, those anchors are not made to come out easily. You can get an auger bit from any trapping supply that you like to use. Put it in a drill and drill right down beside your chain. Go at least as deep as your anchor. If it is still hard to get out then drill down on the opposite side of the first hole. It should come out easy peasy even in red clay.
You do know that you are required to put pictures on here of any catch you make don't you?

KevChap

Banned
I normally dye and wax mine but I ordered a few galvanized last year and just waxed them and they actually worked great. I only used them a few times but caught a bobcat and a couple coons. I think I'll order a few more this year

Doug B.

I normally dye and wax mine but I ordered a few galvanized last year and just waxed them and they actually worked great. I only used them a few times but caught a bobcat and a couple coons. I think I'll order a few more this year
I guess I'm a little behind. Who makes them galvanized?

Wish I could do drags but trapping inside the perimeter would be bad mojo if a coyote moved.
I definitely see the benefits and hate that I can't take advantage of them.

Mike81

Ha ha, those anchors are not made to come out easily. You can get an auger bit from any trapping supply that you like to use. Put it in a drill and drill right down beside your chain. Go at least as deep as your anchor. If it is still hard to get out then drill down on the opposite side of the first hole. It should come out easy peasy even in red clay.
You do know that you are required to put pictures on here of any catch you make don't you?
Doug,
i sure will post if I catch something. I got 12 in the ground. I cant wait to see my first circle of death. I got them all in a couple days ago and everytime I pull into the property I feel like a kid at christmas again knowing there might be a surprise.
Its funny, I had my 2” auger, drill, but my battery did not last. I bought one of those T pullers with the hook. Let me say I could not get that thing to budge. There was not a dry piece of clothing on me by the time I got the anchor dug up.

Mike81

This is how long my stakes are. Are they still to long?

Attachments

• D8FE3F28-29ED-4B06-ADEF-85F89346A403.jpeg
    D8FE3F28-29ED-4B06-ADEF-85F89346A403.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A08F7645-64F3-46BB-B1B7-6A14DC3E91A0.jpeg
    A08F7645-64F3-46BB-B1B7-6A14DC3E91A0.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 4
Stake length is purely personal preference based on ground conditions and what you're willing to carry in and tolerate in getting them back up.
Personally I'm done with chained superstakes. To much of a good thing as I've busted up to much stuff trying to get them out of the clay I trap in. That and the standard driver is to soft and mushrooms top and bottom, again moreso in hard clay, the top other than developing sharp petals and fragmenting from time to time is a painful bloody nuisance. It's the bottom that gets wedged in the stake and won't pull loose.
Now that said the finned superstake with the retrieval loop is great on the waterline in muck soils.
I still love crossed rebar and all my traps going forward will have a chestnut ring for them but I'm mainly using cabled wolf fangs now as they can be pulled with a good puller. However, I'm going to start making my own as no one seems to make them with only eight inches of cable.
Driving longer ones in clay is a pain and overkill as I get good hold in the one foot range. Eight inches will keep the cable loop out of the trap bed. Either that or chained wolf fangs but I don't want more weight to tote.

mossyoakpro

I make my own cabled super stakes....you can get a swager(sp) from Amazon that works great!! I've done probably 500 so far and it is still going strong. I did learn a lesson with it....if you have access to a vise you can lock one handle in the vice and crimp with the other. It makes it much easier. I can get the model number and name if it is still on there if anyone wants it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I tried the super stakes, and wolf fangs.

I experienced the same results as GW.

I bought a bunch of 12" wolf fang cables and they are PLENTY even in soft soil. I would be happy with about 8" of cable as well, but I just wallow out the hole a bit and tuck the excess in and bed from there.

It does not take long to damage the super stakes driver, but I pull traps with the wolf fang driver, no damage yet.