Give Me A Dollar's Worth Please

Cmp1

BANNED
I had a '79 Pinto dark blue it was a fairly good car and got good mileage..We drove that little car for years the only trouble we had was the choke flapper broke on the carb but I never fixed it.. Not a bad car for the money at all..
My Dad talked me out of a 70 Challenger 383 six pack,3/4 race cam,nitrous,triple black,,,,edelbrock manifold,,,,Hurst 4 speed,,,,what a beauty,,,,I was 16,,,,

Redbow

My Dad talked me out of a 70 Challenger 383 six pack,3/4 race cam,nitrous,triple black,,,,edelbrock manifold,,,,Hurst 4 speed,,,,what a beauty,,,,I was 16,,,,
I would have given an arm and a leg at 16 for a car like that..I had a '60 Ford Convertible ugly as sin...

Redbow

I started working at 12 yo,,,,paper route,,,,at the time I was bagging groceries,,,,making a killing in tips,,,,I had cash,,,,my Dad and I took it around the block,,,,he said I'd kill myself in it,,,,
Yep, and you might have at that...But I am sure you wanted that car badly, I would have..

Redbow

I remember the gas rationing from the 70’s too.
Yep, I remember when the attendant would only let you have 10 gallons of gas...Some stations if you had more than half a tank they would tell you to move on. Lots of gas stations would tell you they had a quota each day that they could sell and when they reached it out came the sign no gas...I was in line one day in '73 and a woman was next at the pump to get her gas. The attendant put out the sign in front of her car and she went ballistic on him. I just got out of line and drove on around the corner and got gas with no-one else there..

Oldstick

I pumped many "dollars worth" working at the old Texaco full service station on Vineville Ave. in Macon. 17 years old around 74-75 right before gas started heading up to a dollar. Plus we gave free oil & tire checks and window cleanings with every purchase, no matter what.

Last edited:

LTZ25

$.24 was the cheapest I remember . I had money because I worked summers and after school after ball season , worked at car wash was hard but fun and got a lot change out from behind back seats as I vacuumed them .

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
During the years when I was about 11-17 years old, I worked on Saturdays at a rural grocery store with gas pumps etc. I pumped gas, bagged groceries, restocked the shelves, took out the trash and kept the floors clean as well.

I pumped a lot of gas that cost $.299 per gallon during those days. There were two brothers that owned a logging business and they used the office area of this store when they paid off their "hands" as they were called back then. They paid them once a month and every one of these "employees" had a credit account at this store and they would have to pay off their account at the store "first" before they were given the remainder in cash as the balance of the month's work of working. This way, the owner of the store was guaranteed to get paid for all of the charges on credit from the previous month.

I remember well that every one of these "employees" that owned a vehicle would always ask for either 5 gallons or 10 gallons of gas back then too and NONE of them really knew or cared about the actual cost per gallon. I knew that it would always be either $1.50 or $3.00 total cost.

I also remember a couple of the craziest things that happened back then was when a customer stopped to get gas and wanted 5 gallons and I could NOT find the gas cap for the tank. It was driving me crazy until a really old man walked up and told me to "grab hold" of the "tag" and pull it "backwards" because it had a spring loaded thing behind it and you had to hold it down while filling up that car. Yep, I smashed my finger with that thing before I was finished that day. The ONLY other time that was crazy was when a man stopped by in a nice looking Chevrolet and the owner was the ONLY person that knew where the gas cap was located. It was located "behind" the tail-light on the left side of that car. You had to twist the chrome looking part of the tail-light and it unlocked it and it swung backwards so you could fill it up with gas.

Most every weekend, I still drive past this old "store building" that has been closed for many years now. I always have a flood of great memories from "those good old days" and also remember well the menfolks (including my Father) that also used to cook up some great food a couple of times per month for all of their hunting and fishing buddies to enjoy also. Without a doubt, some of the very tallest tales of hunting and fishing were told there over these many years.

I think that the "biggest tale" EVER told there was told by three friends that found a new fishing technique by using "castor oil". They went down to the Clark's Hill Lake with three stools, a 5 gallon container and 3 big "dip-nets" and backed up the pickup really close to the water. They then took the 5 gallon can of "Castor Oil" and poured it into the water...then sat back on their stools and waited for the action to happen. Well after about 30-45 minutes or so, the action began....and when each fish came out onto the bank to "use the bathroom", they just used their dip-nets to scoop them up really quickly and throw them into the back of the pick-up. They swore that they caught dang near a pick-up load just on one afternoon fishing that way !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::pop:

Life back then was so laid back and wonderful.

For any of you that travel around the Lincoln County, Georgia area, the old store was named, "Goolsby's Store" and this old store building (long since closed) is still located along Hwy 47 just about 2 miles south/east of Lincolnton. If those walls could talk, well they could write a best selling book about "loving all of your neighbors and doing your best to help everyone in need" without a doubt.

Redbow

Great post Eagle Eye 444. Yes I can remember looking for the gas caps on some cars that I was not familiar with back in the day. I do well remember the gas cap under the tail light, I had to be shown where that one was also...It was a great era back then, people seemed to really care about each other during that time, such a shame it passed as time moved on...Now most folks don't even know their neighbors nor do they care who they are..Some of the spring on the license plates that swung down to get to the gas cap, yeah they would mash your pinkies, ouch..

crackerdave

I drive an old '88 Jeep that has the gas cap behind the tag.
It's got 130000 miles on a good ol' inline six.I hope to get another hundred thousand out of it,if I live that long.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thats the 1956 Chevrolet that has the gas cap under a tail light. I owned one that was a real sporty model in the early 70’s. Someone stole it and stripped it.

Redbow

Thats the 1956 Chevrolet that has the gas cap under a tail light. I owned one that was a real sporty model in the early 70’s. Someone stole it and stripped it.
Sorry about your car Milkman I hate a dang thief..

Latest posts