God's Promise vs. Man's Efforts

StriperAddict

Thank you for the answer. I know about it being more difficult to work those long hours this late in life.

I suppose what it comes down to for me is that the Holy Scriptures were given into the care of the Church and are valuable for the teaching and edification of the saints.

It is good and reasonable for me to read Holy Scripture and make personal applications to my life, however, since there are many deeper things that need be defined and interpreted, it is good to leave those to the Church which has been at it for 2000+ years and is still in agreement.

God's Peace.

Hmmmm ... I'm not trying to be clever here, or maybe I am, but what of the Holy Spirit's role?

Perhaps your implying that the church would teach that the Spirit does lead, and that certainly lines up with scripture. We may disagree as to how beholden we are to church authority and liturgy - and the learning of Who is in union with all believers and who may be trusted to lead our way, from the love/strength and Spirit of Christ. I'll add that I believe the two are not synonymous.

Paul's role and authority ...
Among the many places a church was established, Paul had a huge challenge with that cantankerous group, those fleshly Corinthians, to deal with. Now is it possible ... could this church be led of that same Spirit that was in Paul? The Spirit hat was in those early believers? YOU and I ??? I believe so. He drove many a bit crazy calling this same bunch Saints! In this declaration Paul had holy nerve where often we do not. (I "miss that" nerve so often too, as we discussed earlier.
Yet MUCH devoted, purposeful time from Paul was done lovingly with them - to clear out so much false teaching. Being drunk at the communion table, etc.

Yet many repented of their false beliefs. Even the one who had his father's wife came to his senses! And even before that happened - his repentance - Paul had the audacity to say, though his body would be destroyed, his Spirit would be raised up.

(To be clear, the apostle was NOT suggesting a cheap form of grace. He knew, as we all know, that except for the revelation of that grace, such go us all - right into the sin that can so easily deceive us.)

As the authority of the church might stress the importance of the Union believers share together, and to be led from Within, I'd say that's a role worth respecting. But many of the builders have rejected the Chief Cornerstone, by which gives Life to the body of Christ.
Col. 1:18 And He (Christ) is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. (( I could mention many roles in church liturgy that desire that same supremacy, but I'll not rock that boat right now.))

Thanks MM for encouraging a good study here. Peace.

Madman

Yes anywhere man is involved there are difficulties.

"You are the Christ, the son of the living God..... you are correct, on this rock I will build my Church." Then later we see the Jerusalem council, with men in charge and counciling churches outside of Jerusalem on practices of the faith.

Historically we see writings to bishops, central authority, for rulings on behavior and faith.

Of course the Holy Spirit is vital in the teaching of the church and me as an individual, however, It is the responsibility of the Church to teach and the Bible to prove.

Do we believe every pastor who does not believe like us is intentionally misleading their congregation? I bet the vast majority truly believe they are correctly "dividing" the word of God.

I will be the first to admit that Christendom is seeing deeper into the mystery of God, new archeological finds are being made, but the faith as Christ set and the Apostles taught was set 2000 years ago.

I beleive God was made flesh and lived among us in order to help his creation understand who he is and what we should be.

He sent the Spirit to fortify and help in all things, and he built a church to teach, preach, and dispence his graces.

God's peace

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
The Body of Christ and how to be a part of it

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
Rightly dividing the Word of Truth

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
The Body of Christ

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.