Going deaf...anyone else...just found this forum.

jfarrell30339

Hey guys,

Wow...just found this sub forum on GON and I'm interested in digging in. So here's my story. I'm going deaf...i've got what's called meniere's disease which causes some balance disturbances and hearing loss. I'm 100% deaf in my right ear and losing hearing dramatically in the left. I've got hearing aids but some days it's still definitely a struggle. I'm relatively new to hunting 3 years now and i've harvested several deer and a turkey. Deer hunting is relatively ok but I find I'm relying almost exclusively on sight and "instinct" as to when an animal is approaching.

My bigger struggle is turkey hunting with the hearing loss. I can't hear the gobbles unless they're right on top of me. Anyone else struggle with this?

turkeykirk

There is a fella in the Turkey Hunting section who has hearing problems. Look up Herb McClure. Maybe he can offer some suggestions:

Reactions: Dub
I knew a man growing up that was almost completely deaf and he kill more deer in camp than anybody. One question did you ever serve in the military?

jfarrell30339

I knew a man growing up that was almost completely deaf and he kill more deer in camp than anybody. One question did you ever serve in the military?
No sir. I didn't my hearing loss is from my illness and from the treatment. Shooting shotguns without protection with my dad growing up probably didn't help. :)

Hey guys,

Wow...just found this sub forum on GON and I'm interested in digging in. So here's my story. I'm going deaf...i've got what's called meniere's disease which causes some balance disturbances and hearing loss. I'm 100% deaf in my right ear and losing hearing dramatically in the left. I've got hearing aids but some days it's still definitely a struggle. I'm relatively new to hunting 3 years now and i've harvested several deer and a turkey. Deer hunting is relatively ok but I find I'm relying almost exclusively on sight and "instinct" as to when an animal is approaching.

My bigger struggle is turkey hunting with the hearing loss. I can't hear the gobbles unless they're right on top of me. Anyone else struggle with this?

I feel your pain. My hearing has been bad for decades. I gave up trying to turkey hunt.
I never "listened" for deer, too many other critters making noise. I just keep my head on a swivel. My eyesight has grown too weak to read without glasses, but my farsighted vision is good to go.
I usually go hunt the deer, I ain't much on stand hunting and waiting on a deer.

ol bob

Read Mr McClures book he lost his hearing at a very early age and killed turkeys into his eighties.

Arrow Flinger

My hearing is gotten much worse in the past few years. Not near as bad as you but I bought some walkers game ear quad muffs and that has helped me a lot as far as hearing turkeys. They increase the volume substantially and as long as you get the quads, they have excellent directional ability.

jfarrell30339

My hearing is gotten much worse in the past few years. Not near as bad as you but I bought some walkers game ear quad muffs and that has helped me a lot as far as hearing turkeys. They increase the volume substantially and as long as you get the quads, they have excellent directional ability.
I love mine but I'm secretly convinced they somehow repel deer. Whenever I wear them I don't see deer. All the times I've skipped them or just worn my regular muffs I see and/or kill deer. Might just be coincidence. :)

Reactions: Dub

ugajay

My dad is deaf in his right ear and has 20% left in his left ear. He has the advantage of hunting his whole life to help him. Do you have any turkey hunting buddies? My dad goes with a friend, to give him approximate direction and distance of a gobble. He also will play the ole sit and wait game, which isn't appealing to some people

Arrow Flinger

I love mine but I'm secretly convinced they somehow repel deer. Whenever I wear them I don't see deer. All the times I've skipped them or just worn my regular muffs I see and/or kill deer. Might just be coincidence. :)
LOL. I can promise that mine Don't. It's awesome to hear a deer crunching on acorns or Hear a Turkey gobble again

Lukikus2

Never rule out allergies. My wife had 90% hearing loss in both ears. 5K in hearing aids. All caused by mold/sinus infection. Got it cleared up. Sold the aids. She hears fine now. Took two years to clear it up. She was working in a sick building prior.

Buck70

Walkers Game Ears Quad. The quad has 4 microphones resulting in great directional hearing Can you wear these with hearing aids?

Lilly001

I wear in the ear, custom made, hearing protection.
It lowers gun shot sound to a safe level while amplifying all other sound.
My first hunt with them I had a nice doe come out, but I heard a buck grunting behind her, still in the brush.
That was a cool first for me.

280bst

I too have hearing problems getting worse. Mine is from the Military was in crash & rescue lots of helicopter's every day. Thanks to my daughter's constant advise going to VA to get hearing aid. Thanks for the advise about game ear so they do really work have to look into it Thanks

Geezer Ray

Don't know about game ears but if you are totally deaf in one ear the directional sound is shot. Lost my hearing in a motorcycle wreck. I am totally deaf in right ear and military got most of the other one. Even with my hearing aides sound direction is totally out of the picture. The aide on the right transmits to the left side so I can hear better on the right side but just can't determine direction. Hunt by sight is all I can do.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Shoot a ported shotgun with ported chokes without hearing protection , work in a fairly loud environment.
Too little too late, I wear hearing protection. Being half way deaf is frustrating not only to you, but to the ones trying to communicate with you.

You can't regain what you've lost.