Going deaf...anyone else...just found this forum.

nkbigdog

I lost most of my hearing in the Right ear and 1/2 in my left in Nam..VA just gave me this year, a set that are a complete unit fitting on the inside of each ear..What I like is that they are also Blue Tooth. That is a big plus for me as hearing on that new phone my son sent me is lousy without the aids..I also purchased a new radio for the truck I have, that has Blue tooth as well. I like that it calls come over the radio and I can turn the sound up..He got tired of me using my flip up phone and in his terms being a Neanderthal, when it comes to electronics. The new Android phone is still making me ill at reminding me how little I know..It is nice while waiting at the VA Hospital in Decatur, I can watch YouTube videos, without anyone being bothered..

Tom W.

I don't wear hearing aids when shooting or hunting, but do wear hearing protection to keep what I have left. I had a pair of muffs that my son got me for Christmas on year, they had amplifiers but instantly shut down when shooting. I loved them for deer hunting.

It's getting so my 5k hearing aids ain't much help now......I had them in all day yesterday and still had trouble understanding my wife.......

Gaswamp

anyone tried the walker game ear buds?

280bst

I lost most of my hearing in the Right ear and 1/2 in my left in Nam..VA just gave me this year, a set that are a complete unit fitting on the inside of each ear..What I like is that they are also Blue Tooth. That is a big plus for me as hearing on that new phone my son sent me is lousy without the aids..I also purchased a new radio for the truck I have, that has Blue tooth as well. I like that it calls come over the radio and I can turn the sound up..He got tired of me using my flip up phone and in his terms being a Neanderthal, when it comes to electronics. The new Android phone is still making me ill at reminding me how little I know..It is nice while waiting at the VA Hospital in Decatur, I can watch YouTube videos, without anyone being bothered..
I got a set of those couple weeks ago nice got to go back next month they said to set my Bluetooth up glad to hear they work well, I go to Charlie Norwood in Hull

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone got the cochlear implants? If so, did they work as advertised?
My dad got a cochlear implant not long after they first started doing them. It completely changed his life. I bet they work even better now, that was back over fifteen years ago.

Buck70

Thanks. I'm getting near the level of hearing loss that would make me eligible for implants. But I understand that if the implants don't work then you are completely deaf. That's what bothers me.

wildcats

I have a titanium stapese prostheses. I lost the hearing in my right ear while in the Airforce (trained bomber crews on ground directed bombing) No live bombs....they used 1k hertz tones to simulate drops etc. Daily listening to those frequencies basically petrified my inner ear.
I was at 5% hearing, after surgery I improved to just above 80%. Even then I still had certain frequency ranges that were complete drop outs. The right child voice may as well be a mime. Lost a bit of taste as well due to the location of teh nerve that controls taste buds.
It has since degraded by about half but worked very well for close to 15 yrs.
Have never tried hunting with hearing muffs etc. Always wanted to try them but have never taken that leap. Hearing a deer out of only 1 side of your head will have you spinning in circles trying to locate him. Funny and frustrating at times.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My dad got a cochlear implant not long after they first started doing them. It completely changed his life. I bet they work even better now, that was back over fifteen years ago.
I have a God daughter that was born with 10% hearing.She got the cochlear implants. It changed her life. She says it doesn't give tone differences.but she can hear and understand conversations.Says it sounds like a computer talking to her...monotone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a God daughter that was born with 10% hearing.She got the cochlear implants. It changed her life. She says it doesn't give tone differences.but she can hear and understand conversations.Says it sounds like a computer talking to her...monotone.
Yep, that's kind of the way dad described it. It took him a while to get used to it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Thanks. I'm getting near the level of hearing loss that would make me eligible for implants. But I understand that if the implants don't work then you are completely deaf. That's what bothers me.
That is a hard decision to make

greg_n_clayton

Shoot a ported shotgun with ported chokes without hearing protection , work in a fairly loud environment.
Too little too late, I wear hearing protection. Being half way deaf is frustrating not only to you, but to the ones trying to communicate with you.

You can't regain what you've lost.
This is true. When someone speaks to me and i am not expecting it, I totally miss it. If I am expecting it, I can focus in their direction and hear them .... ok if they speak clear and loud. I have found that people find it annoying me constantly saying.. "huh" ! I try to catch myself, and just kinda lean toward them and apologize for not being able to hear them to begin with. I find it hard to understand folks if they don't speak clearly, it sounds to me as if they mumbling.

Geezer Ray

This is true. When someone speaks to me and i am not expecting it, I totally miss it. If I am expecting it, I can focus in their direction and hear them .... ok if they speak clear and loud. I have found that people find it annoying me constantly saying.. "huh" ! I try to catch myself, and just kinda lean toward them and apologize for not being able to hear them to begin with. I find it hard to understand folks if they don't speak clearly, it sounds to me as if they mumbling.
My audiologist told my wife to only speak to me in the same room, only when I am looking at her, this has helped tremendously. I don't know if it's lip reading or what but actualy looking at the person speaking does help.