Going to Helen this weekend for.......

Geeseman

October Fest:banana: thought I might take the fly equiptment and see if there is anything worth catching this time of year. Never fished the area any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

huntfish

The Hooch in town is a good bet and also (hint) lower Smith Creek in Unicoi State Park. They had a KFE a couple of weeks ago and the trout are still there.

Geeseman

whats the flavor of the month and do you have to have barbless around town, best I can remember you do in Smith Creek right

allenww

Bwo or ehc in any of their varieties should be in style, although in either location you are looking for fish that got there last month.

You are correct on Smith, and I think also you need a reservation
(but I haven't been in a long time). Barbs are fine on the Hooch.

wa

huntfish

Bwo or ehc in any of their varieties should be in style, although in either location you are looking for fish that got there last month.

You are correct on Smith, and I think also you need a reservation
(but I haven't been in a long time). Barbs are fine on the Hooch.

wa

Don't need a reservation at Smith Creek and you don't have to go barbless until DH season starts (1 November)

Dukes Creek @ Smithgall requires reservations and barbless is STRICTLY enforced; including what's in your fly box.

Geeseman

your a cowboy now figured you give up the fly life:rofl:

my scheduled got changed so I am the keeper of the night now. It blows don't have time to do anything always sleeping. Hopefully it will change soon though theres been some restructuring going on, I really miss being on the water and haven't been bow hunting but once. give me a call G.

MossyOak

I did call you and lefted you a vm around 8:30 this morning

So Tag your it :whip:

anglerEd

Don't need a reservation at Smith Creek and you don't have to go barbless until DH season starts (1 November)

Dukes Creek @ Smithgall requires reservations and barbless is STRICTLY enforced; including what's in your fly box.

Id hate to spend any time in Hellen and not have one day reserved for Dukes. If I found myself in that situation, I'd be there bright and early and hope to fill in for a no show.

bruceg

Did you get out fishing? My oldest son had a real hankering for Oktoberfest, so we drove up 2 weekends ago. Had a great time walking around town and went to Festhall (or whatever it is) for sausage, red cabbage, German potato salad, beer and music. It was pretty cool.

I really wanted to find some good authentic German food other than sausage - but didn't. We ran into a restaurant that looked like it might be good - but that was after we got grub at the hall.

It looked like it would be a lot of fun to fish the Chattahoochee there! I think we'll head up at the start of the season and line the banks with everyone else.

What's a recommendation for a camping spot up there? Isn't that near Uncoi? We have tents, and might have a very small, light tent trailer.

We're not so good at actually catching fish, but that's another story.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Plenty of camping in Unicoi State Park, but you need to make reservations for that time of year! Also, up the hooch on the opposite bank form Helen, there are a few primitive spots as well.