Going To Water

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good writing. I have the same thoughts about my beloved swamps and waterways of South central and Southwest Georgia.

Snowdawg

We used to have a couple of spots in N GA where we could find those little brookies. Now only once every 2-3 years we happen upon one. We have to go to Colorado to get our fix now.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thank you Steve!! Love your posts and pics!!!

Burdawg

Long time lurker here...this post made me join up, to thank the OP for the well written post. I guess we can all identify with "special waters" that offer soul healing peace in our mad world. It reminded me that I don't have to be in Wyoming to get my fix and to be more thankful for my "home waters".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Long time lurker here...this post made me join up, to thank the OP for the well written post. I guess we can all identify with "special waters" that offer soul healing peace in our mad world. It reminded me that I don't have to be in Wyoming to get my fix and to be more thankful for my "home waters".
Welcome, and looking forward to hearing some of your stories!

hopper

Great post Buddy. Wish I had roots like that. Always been drawn to the water. Every were I lived as a kid the creeks soon became my highways and trails. I get out as often as I can were I can.
Beautiful post Man.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Never caught one. Let's you and me and Chris take a road trip and do some field research.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

whitetailfreak

I went back and re-read this perfectly worded description of the connection between these mountains, The Cherokee and by the late 1700's the first White pioneering families in the Smoky Mountains. Like NCH my ancestry runs deep in these mountains and his words really hit home. In one of the most isolated valleys in the Smokies I can catch native Speckle Trout within sight of my grandfather's childhood homeplace with nothing but a stone chimney now standing. I'll often stray from the creek and climb a mountain to visit kinfolk resting in an unkept primitive cemetery that once sat above the Church where now only forest exists. It's spiritual, it's emotional, and on these trips the trout are a bit of an afterthought. I for one especially appreciated this post and this forum is a better place because of NCH's writings. I hope he returns.

Last edited:

Buck70

I went back and re-read this perfectly worded description of the connection between these mountains, the Cherokee and by the late 1700's the first White pioneering families in the Smoky Mountains. Like NCH my ancestry runs deep in these mountains and his words really hit home. In one of the most isolated valleys in the Smokies I can catch native Speckle Trout within sight of my grandfather's childhood homeplace with nothing but a stone chimney now standing. I'll often stray from the creek and climb a mountain to visit kinfolk resting in an unkept primitive cemetery that once sat above the Church where now only forest exists. It's spiritual, it's emotional, and on these trips the trout are a bit of an afterthought. I for one especially appreciated this post and this forum is a better place because of NCH's writings. I hope he returns.
Well said!