Golf Cart Batteries

SWAMPFOX

My golf cart is in need of a couple of 6-volt batteries. I understand that I cannot replace just the bad ones; I have to replace all 6 since my cart is a 36 bolt system. I have heard that Trojans are the best and found an on-line package deal for about $1200.00. However I have a Sam's Club membership and they have Duracells that are cheaper. I'm just wondering what you folks have that work good and are economical. I know with batteries it can be hit or miss sometimes.
Thanks.

Ray357

AWOL
My golf cart is in need of a couple of 6-volt batteries. I understand that I cannot replace just the bad ones; I have to replace all 6 since my cart is a 36 bolt system. I have heard that Trojans are the best and found an on-line package deal for about $1200.00. However I have a Sam's Club membership and they have Duracells that are cheaper. I'm just wondering what you folks have that work good and are economical. I know with batteries it can be hit or miss sometimes.
Thanks.
I use Deka. The first couple that go bad I replace with used batteries.

buckmanmike

You should be able to get Trojan 6v batteries for about $100 each. Check Craigslist.
Ive used Duracell from Sams before. They served me well for 2 years when I sold the cart.

shdw633

I have Duracell's from Sam's Club in my 48 volt cart and have been completely happy with them. I believe they are going on 3 years right now and when they kick the bucket I will get the Duracell's again. I like them and the price is right.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Unless you are young and stout I would buy the batteries installed. Your local golf cart shop can probably do it.

transfixer

You can replace just a couple if you'd like, but its best to replace them all, the others are just as old and likely won't last very much longer anyway,

$1200 for 6 6volt batteries is way too high, find a local battery dealer that carries Trojans or Crowns, both are generally considered to be the best , with the most lead content, which translates into longer power storage and longer life, I use my cart on our lease where we have no power other than a generator, I wanted the longest lasting highest amp capacity I could get, I got the biggest 8volt batteries available 3yrs ago and 6 of them only cost me $780 buying from a local golf cart dealer, I bought 6 6volt Crowns from a local battery dealer for a friend of mine for $540

paulito

Agreed. $1,200 for 6 is WAY high. I got mine from Superior motorsports here in Woodstock a year ago and they were well under 1,000 for my 36volt. Keep Shopping. I also tend to agree that you are better served replacing all of them (even if you go with cheaper brand ones) than you are just replacing two with a quality battery.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Unless you are young and stout I would buy the batteries installed. Your local golf cart shop can probably do it.

I paid $815 for 6 new Trojan 6 volts INSTALLED 3-4 years ago. This was at Watkinsville Golf Cart shop.

sleepr71

Trojan,or Crown if you are going to keep it. Duracell from Sams if not. I think I paid just over $100/ea for big Crown batteries for our Bad Boy..in 2020.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Not sure of your location but there's a place in Forest Park just off I-75. BDI- Battery Dist. Inc. Great prices and good folks to deal with, I have bought ATV, lawnmower and car batteries from them.
4788 Lake Mirror Pl, Forest Park, GA 30297

SWAMPFOX

I understand that Trojan batteries are the traditional "wet cell construction and that Crown batteries are glass met/gel construction. I have been told that my golf cart charger that I've used for wet cell batteries won't properly charge the Crown glass mat/gel batteries. I was told the Crowns require something along the lines of a trickle charge to prevent the case from swelling. Any truth to this?
Thanks.

transfixer

I understand that Trojan batteries are the traditional "wet cell construction and that Crown batteries are glass met/gel construction. I have been told that my golf cart charger that I've used for wet cell batteries won't properly charge the Crown glass mat/gel batteries. I was told the Crowns require something along the lines of a trickle charge to prevent the case from swelling. Any truth to this?
Thanks.

Never heard that ,, the Crowns I have are traditional wet cell batteries, they may make both, haven't heard about the glass mat ones, also the 6volt Crowns I bought for a friend of mine were traditional batteries.

sghoghunter

Me and my brother both have 48 volt yamahas and I have Trojans in mine and he’s got crowns in his and the crowns haven’t been nothing but trouble. Mine are around 4 yrs old and I’ve added maybe 1/2 gallon of water to four batteries and his is 3 yrs old and have added water twice,had one replaced after a yr and now it won’t hold a charge so we’re thinking more batteries are bad. I’ve had a couple different people say crown don’t warranty their batteries like they say they will

Ray357

AWOL
Me and my brother both have 48 volt yamahas and I have Trojans in mine and he’s got crowns in his and the crowns haven’t been nothing but trouble. Mine are around 4 yrs old and I’ve added maybe 1/2 gallon of water to four batteries and his is 3 yrs old and have added water twice,had one replaced after a yr and now it won’t hold a charge so we’re thinking more batteries are bad. I’ve had a couple different people say crown don’t warranty their batteries like they say they will
I have a 72v with Trojans. They are pure junk. Add water to half them about once a month. One has already shorted out. They less than 3 years old. I have the best luck with Napa. I get them cheap too with my commercial account.

Ray357

AWOL
Thanks.
I think both companies make both types.

transfixer

I may be wrong, but I believe having to add water has a lot to do with how your charger charges them . I only use my cart during deer season, put it on the charger when I get home let it charge overnight, then unplug the charger and hook up the battery maintainer, when I store it after the season like I'm doing now, I'll keep the battery maintainer on it till next season , I usually only add water once a season, and not a whole lot then.

baddave

i have a 36 v club car-- put duracells from sams in it about 5 yrs ago - 5 yrs is a long time but i only run it about every 2 wks on avg - duracells really never were worth a poot . it never would go very long even when they were new - i just put trojans from Fatboy buggies for $750(i think) my cart could handle 18 holes of golf now and will peel a wheel taking off - no more duracells for me

Ray357

AWOL
I may be wrong, but I believe having to add water has a lot to do with how your charger charges them . I only use my cart during deer season, put it on the charger when I get home let it charge overnight, then unplug the charger and hook up the battery maintainer, when I store it after the season like I'm doing now, I'll keep the battery maintainer on it till next season , I usually only add water once a season, and not a whole lot then.
My cart gets used daily and charged a few times a week.

transfixer

Charging them constantly will cause the water to evaporate quicker, and I think the higher amp chargers also cause the water to evaporate faster than the lower amp ones, but the lower amp chargers take longer to recharge them

Davans

Prices on batteries are skyrocketing. Find out who makes them. The name on the label doesn’t mean a whole lot.
Deka typically are better than Johnson Industries And use to make some for Duracell.
AGM is better technology than wet acid and a good choice if you want the best service out of them.
AGM batteries do require newer technology in the charger.
if you want the best. Check out Odyssey.