GON POLL: Taking shots past 40 yards

Do you believe hunters with today's innovations should knowingly take shots past 40 yards?

• Yes

• No

• No in the woods, yes in the open

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ray357

AWOL
Us folks that like to call them up to spittin' distance have a name for folks who shoot them at 50 yards. "Bad turkey callers"!:ROFLMAO:
:stir:

This post will either make me some friends or put me on some ignore lists!:rofl:
I call the ones who can't kill them reliably at 50 plus, bad reloaders, bad shooters, owners of s sucky shotgun, or a combination of aforementioned.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dang Ruger, what makes a thread a pot stirrer thread? If a "pot stirrer" thread is so divisive, why do you guys have an emoji for it? :stir:

I do not believe I am breaking any forum rules by typing this, but the topics with the most clickstream and engagement do seem to be "pot stirrer" threads, assuming you are citing recent threads around topics like strutter decoys, jake smashin, shot distance, public vs private birds, tiffany lakowski vs eva shockey, etc.

You a Tiffany or Eva guy?

More of a Dana Loesch fan.

I think you nailed it on your list of useless threads. What value added is questioning a fellow hunter in the method of his kill made legally. There is actually is a forum rule prohibiting this. No harm no foul here.

Many years back there were some pot stirring experts on this board. Plant a subtle question and watch the nuclear event happen over the next few days.

White0ak

Banned
More of a Dana Loesch fan.

I think you nailed it on your list of useless threads. What value added is questioning a fellow hunter in the method of his kill made legally. There is actually is a forum rule prohibiting this. No harm no foul here.

Many years back there were some pot stirring experts on this board. Plant a subtle question and watch the nuclear event happen over the next few days.

I know a little about some of those you speak of... those of another time before facebook and instagram enslaved the hunting community. Legend has it one of those ancient internet sages still haunts Cedar Creek to this day

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I call the ones who can't kill them reliably at 50 plus, bad reloaders, bad shooters, owners of s sucky shotgun, or a combination of aforementioned.
I want to see a pic of u. The turkey and your shotgun. And what year is it from.

Tadder

I know. Now I feel bad about killing that one with a cane pole that was whooping up on my decoy. That decoy cost 50 ty bucks. Same as my shells. They to expense to shoot. ?
If its legal can't now body really hat on anyone for using whats legal. I don't us decoys where I hunt you just might get shoot. :)

bluemarlin

Generally, turkey hunting is a under 30 yard game. I don't make that rule but with a little patience and somewhat ability to sill still that's usually how it unfolds... but to have the oldgobbler.com mentality of don't mention shots over 40 yards is nothing short of 1980's thinking... in that, shotgun shell and choke technology allows you to stretch one out like it's 2021 on a old gobbler that won't commit... but you better know your gun and its abilities. There is a limit to 10+ dollar shells inside your 12 gauge.

Turkeytider

50+? Can you kill a bird at that range ? Sure. Will you likely cripple more birds at those ranges? Sure. Personally, I don’t need to kill something bad enough to take those kinds of shots and run that risk. I respect the bird too much.

Ray357

AWOL
When was the last time u killed a turkey. ?
Never. I don't hunt, fish, or shoot. It might make PETA mad. Don't own no guns, might make a Democrat mad. Don't own no fishing poles, might make somebody mad.
Do you really not see my comment you replied to as a satirical reply to the post about if you have to shoot them far, you are a bad caller? There is no good reason you can't shoot reliably beyond 50 if your shoulder will take the punishment. Muzzleloader is my choice weapon. My shotgun is a 3.5" Mossberg pump with a custom barrel that will group about anything you feed it. Backbored, super long forcing cone, Briley long chokes, magnaport, etc. Been several years since I shot a turkey, call em for my boys now and let them have fun.

Last edited:

Ray357

AWOL
50+? Can you kill a bird at that range ? Sure. Will you likely cripple more birds at those ranges? Sure. Personally, I don’t need to kill something bad enough to take those kinds of shots and run that risk. I respect the bird too much.
The same is said about people who shoot deer at 500, 600, 700 yards. Some folks are more ethical at 700 than Bubba is at 70. Shotgun all depends on the wad and the gun. The choke is not the important part of determining what groups a shotgun will shoot. I was taught by a guy who built turkey shoot shotguns . Apply that methodology to 3.5" and use an uncut wad, man you got a virtual slug. 50 is really not that far.
Most factory loads don't use a wad that lets you shoot past about 40. With the wad for the long shots, you basically have a slug until about 25. You have to body shoot a turkey under 35.

Last edited:

Turkeytider

The same is said about people who shoot deer at 500, 600, 700 yards. Some folks are more ethical at 700 than Bubba is at 70. Shotgun all depends on the wad and the gun. The choke is not the important part of determining what groups a shotgun will shoot. I was taught by a guy who built turkey shoot shotguns . Apply that methodology to 3.5" and use an uncut wad, man you got a virtual slug. 50 is really not that far.
Most factory loads don't use a wad that lets you shoot past about 40. With the wad for the long shots, you basically have a slug until about 25. You have to body shoot a turkey under 35.

All I’m saying is that the further the shot, the more likely you are to cripple.

Ray357

AWOL
Ray
You do know what it take to go one step further. ?
A smokeless muzzleloader. Got one of them too.

This is all a your vs my ethics that started when you missed the truthful hunor (not pure sarcasm) in a response to a post that was written to be funny yet needling at the same time.

Last edited: