Gonna miss the whole turkey season again.....

Darkhorse

I'm the guy that hunts turkeys with the .40 caliber flintlock. Photos of a couple of my birds and the rifle I've posted here before.
This is the third season I will have missed. And 2 and a little more deer seasons.
I had a stenosis in my lower spine I tried to ignore. That was a mistake as I waited a little longer than most and my legs started having spells of paralysis. Surgery was my only option and it was a rough operation. The surgeon had to remove the bone from the top of my spine and massage the nerves and tendons and such to get them to lay back in proper position.
I spent 2 months in physical rehab learning to walk with a walker but my balance is still off and the leg strength is slow in returning.
But I'm confident I will be in the deer woods next fall and the turkey woods after that.
So I'm wishing all of you the best of luck this year and may you find plenty of birds to call to.
Darkhorse

Big7

The Oracle
Sorry to hear that.

I pray and wish for your speedy recovery.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I hope for a good solid recovery for you!

What is stenosis?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I'm the guy that hunts turkeys with the .40 caliber flintlock. Photos of a couple of my birds and the rifle I've posted here before.
This is the third season I will have missed. And 2 and a little more deer seasons.
I had a stenosis in my lower spine I tried to ignore. That was a mistake as I waited a little longer than most and my legs started having spells of paralysis. Surgery was my only option and it was a rough operation. The surgeon had to remove the bone from the top of my spine and massage the nerves and tendons and such to get them to lay back in proper position.
I spent 2 months in physical rehab learning to walk with a walker but my balance is still off and the leg strength is slow in returning.
But I'm confident I will be in the deer woods next fall and the turkey woods after that.
So I'm wishing all of you the best of luck this year and may you find plenty of birds to call to.
Darkhorse
Hate to hear of the struggle, but LOVE YOUR GREAT ATTITUDE! I just got a new shoulder and quite frankly PT has been a breeze compared to yours! MOST of us don’t take care of ourselves as we should in our younger days. But a lesson here may be to “listen to the pain”! Pain serves a purpose besides making us miserable. It’s our bodies telling us something……I’m as guilty as anyone at not listening.

Stay strong brother and keep up the great attitude, every day!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m in the same situation but with three rotator cuff surgery’s since September. I too waited too long for my lower back surgery. Neuropathy in both legs and feet is not something I would wish on anyone.

buckpasser

I feel for you Sir. I lost feeling and most of the use of my left leg due to a fragmented disk. It happened at the chiropractor and took around a year to get back to being able to walk normally. I still can’t feel very much but I have use again.

I told my wife if it had been both legs at once it would have put me in a wheelchair. I had no control or power in that joker! Still cramps all the time and is a real bummer. I hope you have a complete recovery!

Darkhorse

I hope for a good solid recovery for you!

What is stenosis?
It is a narrowing in the spinal passage resulting in not enough room for the spinal cord,blood vessels, nerves and whatever else goes in there to include scar tissue. Eventually it will restrict function of involved nerves and blood vessels. Nerve damage can be bad enough to damage nerves so that no regeneration is possible. Once the point of no return is reached it will result in paralysis then death.
Part of the reason to remove bone is to create room for the nerves and all so there will be no stenosis in the future.
Mostly it is the result of an injury to the spine and I've had several of those.

That's the way I understand it anyway. DH

GregoryB.

Too many of us try to tough it out only to make it worse in the long run, myself included. Hope you get to feeling better and get back out in the woods soon.

Permitchaser

Hope you start feeling better
I had back surgery 3 years ago Laminectomy micro. Have neuropathy in my back, hips, legs and feet caused me to retire from a 15 year triathlon career. I can still walk and hunt and still swim laps 3 days a week and now compete in swim meets. US masters swim

Darkhorse

I hear you Permitchaser, this has cost me a lot also. I was always athletic, a runner, softball fanatic, weightlifter, I benched 315 twice at 56 and I'm not that big. I also taught Martial Arts and my goal was to finally earn my Masters ranking in Tae Kwon Do.
None of that is possible now. So I just forget all that stuff, pick up from here and go from there.

Darkhorse

An update on my rehabilitation. Bottom line is it hasn't happened. The heart attack I had last fall hasn't helped a thing.
Once my heart doctor clears me for exercise and tells me what I'm able to do then I'll start another round of rehabilitation. But I still intend to hunt turkeys this spring albeit different than usual.
I'll hunt from a blind and drive my ATV close then camoflauge it. Go from there to the blind with a walker or cane then sit there for several hours.
At least I'll be hunting again.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hate to hear about the set back ! Sounds like you have the right attitude though , good luck this season !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I sat on my 4 wheeler before. Drive in before daylite and camo it right by the blind if u have too.
I got a turkey that day.