Good Day in the Mountains

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been in bad need of some alone time in the mountains. So I headed back into the Smokies today to one of my favorite little creeks:

creek2.jpg

creek1.jpg

Hiked about a mile in and started fishing. After I figured out what they were wanting to eat, action was steady all day.

I caught a whole bunch of these:

brown.jpg

Several of these:

rainbow.jpg

And a bunch of these little jewels:

speck.jpg
Fished upstream until I felt human again, dialed into that place where there is only you, the water, the woods, and the trout.

Knocked a limit of the non-natives in the head for supper tomorrow night:

limit.jpg

Tired, but refreshed, I headed back down the trail, and back to home. Deep woods and running water are very healing.

whitetailfreak

Fantastic stuff right there. There's been a few hot days lately where I've thought to myself "I'd rather be on a creek than sitting in this hot tree stand".

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Man, that looks like fun. Pretty place, pretty fish, pretty knife, Dad has one like it in his pocket and he has been gone for nearly 20 years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Love the pic of the fish and that carbon steel muskrat! I hope you got that knife willed to someone who appreciates its history.
I would be absolutely lost without that knife. I bought it with hide money from trapping when I was about 16, and it's been in my pocket every day since then, and I'm about to turn 51. A long freight train wouldn't tote the deer, bear, coons, possums, muskrats, minks, otters, groundhogs, fish, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, and other critters that have been skinned/cleaned with that knife. I'd cry like a baby if I lost it.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm envious. I ain't been in the woods or on the water hardly at all since July.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Your Blessed to have that to do.
Enjoyed you telling about your adventure.
Thanks.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
very nice.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh man! Thanks for sharing your trip to Paradise with us.

Bream Pole

I know exactly what you are saying. When I lived in Atlanta I'd head to the mountains. Nothing like the mountains and those streams. Used to wade a black water creek here and catch bass, jack and occasional aggressive red breast. Then one morning I ran into a cotton mouth bigger around than my arm and I haven't waded that creek since. Today gators would bother me as they are everywhere.

You are an amazing renaissance mountain man. Really enjoy all you send us on the forum from food to fishing. I no longer have the legs or balance at 71 to do all I used to do to find that place of refreshing. Today limited to being on the water in kayak or jon boat but while not as enjoyable but itdoes work.

Last edited:

Rabun

I feel better just reading about it :) The mountains recharge me whenever I spend time in them. I just feel at peace when surrounded by nature. Great trip NC and thanks for sharing. How'd those trout cook up? Looks delicious!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I feel better just reading about it :) The mountains recharge me whenever I spend time in them. I just feel at peace when surrounded by nature. Great trip NC and thanks for sharing. How'd those trout cook up? Looks delicious!
They were delicious.

friedtrout.jpg

transfixer

NCH, you're truly lucky to live in the area you do, I grew up outside Atlanta but had relatives in the N.Ga mtns up around Blairsville, the trout streams up there have always felt like home to me. I spent many a weekend roaming those streams in my younger days , still get up there when I can. Matter of fact I might need to make a day run soon, before deer season gets all my attention. I need to recharge my state of mind !