Good easy to use cheap knife sharpener

JR924

Not sure if this is the right place to post but this forum sees a lot of action. Want a razor edge on my hunting knifes. Cannot use a wet stone well. The triangular carbon and ceramic sharpeners are not creating a razor edge. Any suggestion for cheap easy to use sharpener. and special techniques. Also how long after buying should I replace it as that may be some of my problem. Thanks in advance for any replies

WayneB

I'd have a hard time not mentioning Lansky sharpening systems, even if they only last 40 years.. ;) The new diamond stone set is awesome! The failure of my 40+ year old set was decades of soaking in mineral oil. stone debonded from carrier handle. If you get one, decide if you want portability or stationary use and get the appropriate mount. I generally have a c-clamp mount with the kit, and a stationary mount in the workshop.

Robust Redhorse

IMHO...

The best knife sharper you can buy now is the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

The best portable knife sharpener is the Lansky Blademedic. You don't really have to do anything with it to maintain it.

With the Sharpmaker, just throw the 2 sets of stones in the dishwasher once a year and you will be good to go for decades.

Unicoi Outfitters in Helen and Clarkesville sells both of them.

B. White

Try this one before you spend very much. You don't have much to lose at the price. I've had one about 4-5 years now. My biggest fear was that it would remove too much material, but haven't had that problem. My 40 year old stones are collecting dust.

Big7

The Oracle
You would be better off learning to use stones, steels and ceramic.

The pull through is for cheap fillet and other soft blades. They will ruin a good knife.

Not real expensive but will give many years of service.
20221210_202046.jpg

Bobby Bigtime

You would do yourself a good service to learn to use a good stone. I have taught dozens of high school students, so it is not difficult just requires some practice. I would recommend a Norton dual grit India stone(oil) it will cost a bit over a 20 dollar bill. The Norton crystalon dual grit stone (also oil) is also a good choice and about the same price range. The India is an aluminum oxide stone and the crystallon is silicon carbide. There are endless other brands of various quality but either of the Norton stone will last you forever. The knives I sharpen on these stones have been accused of being "way too sharp" you may get addicted to stones as I am and have dozens but either of these will do ya. The dmt oval diamond rods are great. Nothing produces a uniform, lasting edge like stones.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
You would do yourself a good service to learn to use a good stone. I have taught dozens of high school students, so it is not difficult just requires some practice. I would recommend a Norton dual grit India stone(oil) it will cost a bit over a 20 dollar bill. The Norton crystalon dual grit stone (also oil) is also a good choice and about the same price range. The India is an aluminum oxide stone and the crystallon is silicon carbide. There are endless other brands of various quality but either of the Norton stone will last you forever. The knives I sharpen on these stones have been accused of being "way too sharp" you may get addicted to stones as I am and have dozens but either of these will do ya. The dmt oval diamond rods are great. Nothing produces a uniform, lasting edge like stones.
Correct in all respects

TJay

I have a Spyderco Gauntlet (sticks) and it works quite well. Very simple and effective. Whatever you get I suggest a good leather strop to go with it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I dont know the model but Smiths had a diamond sharpening hone that was coarse on one side and fine on the other with each side having 20deg ramps to keep the correct angle. One edge of the product had a ceramic rod and the other edge had a piece of leather.
It did a really good job as an all in one.

I have a LOT of various sharpeners and use most of them for different situations but if I had to choose two one would be a 2 sided Diamond hone and a V type set up with ceramic rods.

Edited To Add:
It isnt a Smith's. It is the Work Sharp one that ScLowCountry mentioned in post #14.

Last edited:

Bobby Bigtime

There are so many grinds ,that is why I like stones because you sharpen by the "feel" of the angle.it is important to maintain the angle of the edge to optimize the sharpness.some of the sharpeners that set a particular angle for you are great providing your edge matches their guide(like the lansky system)if not, you end up reprofiling your edge by using an angle that is"close"to the profile. Once you master the "feel" you don't have to settle for "close"

Stevie Ray

I've mostly used stones over the years but about a year ago I bought a Work Sharp Precision Adjust sharpener and I like it a lot, I use my iPhone with a level app to get the correct angle of the sharpener for whatever knife I am sharpening and it sharpens at consistent angles every time.

It's great on knives up to about 6" or shorter but doesn't work on larger knives very well but overall I am super happy with it.