Good Read

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Anselm, Proslogium

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...0&n=100121501&sortby=17&cm_sp=pan-_-srp-_-new

This is the one I have, but I was blessed with a price of under $10 :huh:.
It's only about 30 pg., so it would be easy enough to read on-line, and there are several other translations and publications.
The main purpose is to lay out the ontological proof of God's existence.

Preface
..I have written the following treatise, in the person of one who strives to lift his mind to the contemplation of God, and seeks to understand what he believes. ...

Ch. I
... What have I undertaken? What have I accomplished? Whither was I striving? How far have I come? To what did I aspire? Amid what thoughts am I sighing? I sought blessing and lo ! confusion. I strove toward God, and I stumbled on myself. I sought calm in privacy, and I found tribulation and grief, in my inmost thoughts. I wished to smile in the joy of my mind, and I am compelled to frown by the sorrow of my heart. Gladness was hoped for, and lo ! a source of frequent sighs!
... Teach me to seek thee, and reveal thyself to me, when I seek thee, for I cannot seek thee, except thou teach me, nor find thee, except thou reveal thyself. Let me seek thee in longing, let me long for thee in seeking; let me find thee in love, and love thee in finding. ...
I do not endeavor, O Lord to penetrate thy sublimity, for in no wise do I compare my understanding with that; but I long to understand in some degree thy truth, which my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand that I may believe. but I believe in order to understand. For this also I believe,—that unless I believed, I should not understand.

Ch. XXV
... And God shall love them more than they themselves; for they love him, and themselves, and one another, through him, and he himself and them, through himself. If concord, they shall all have a single will.
... For, as they will not will aught else than he, he shall will whatever they will; and what he shall will cannot fail to be.

https://ccel.org/ccel/anselm/basic_works/basic_works/Page_1.html

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Anselm, Proslogium

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...0&n=100121501&sortby=17&cm_sp=pan-_-srp-_-new

It's only about 30 pg., so it would be easy enough to read on-line, and there are several other translations and publications.

Preface
..I have written the following treatise, in the person of one who strives to lift his mind to the contemplation of God, and seeks to understand what he believes. ...

Ch. I
... What have I undertaken? What have I accomplished? Whither was I striving? How far have I come? To what did I aspire? Amid what thoughts am I sighing? I sought blessing and lo ! confusion. I strove toward God, and I stumbled on myself. I sought calm in privacy, and I found tribulation and grief, in my inmost thoughts. I wished to smile in the joy of my mind, and I am compelled to frown by the sorrow of my heart. Gladness was hoped for, and lo ! a source of frequent sighs!
... Teach me to seek thee, and reveal thyself to me, when I seek thee, for I cannot seek thee, except thou teach me, nor find thee, except thou reveal thyself. Let me seek thee in longing, let me long for thee in seeking; let me find thee in love, and love thee in finding. ...
I do not endeavor, O Lord to penetrate thy sublimity, for in no wise do I compare my understanding with that; but I long to understand in some degree thy truth, which my heart believes and loves. For I do not seek to understand that I may believe. but I believe in order to understand. For this also I believe,—that unless I believed, I should not understand.

Ch. XXV
... And God shall love them more than they themselves; for they love him, and themselves, and one another, through him, and he himself and them, through himself. If concord, they shall all have a single will.
... For, as they will not will aught else than he, he shall will whatever they will; and what he shall will cannot fail to be.

Do they have it in English?

Madman

Anselm, Proslogium

Preface

Ch. I

Ch. XXV

St. Anselm, a good Anglican. Good meditation also.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Do they have it in English?
As I mentioned, there are several, and I'm sure that, just like Bible translations/interpretations, they run the usual gamut from sincerely attempted accuracy to fanciful interpretation.
A Google search brings up several complete texts. Reading the Translator's Introduction will usually give clues to what's up with a particular rendition.

Last edited:

Latest posts