good reads to avoid the post-hunting blues

jdgator

If you enjoy the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child you will love the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.

Joe Pickett is a Wyoming Game Warden. He doesn't have super powers. He is a very believable character that stumbles into crimes and solves them. They are modern day westerns but they aren't cheesy. I've read two so far and love them.

Enjoy!

Mars

I highly recommend The Terminal List, True Believer, and Savage Son. Those are 3 books in an ongoing series by former SEAL Jack Carr. They are great action books that are well researched.

jdgator

I highly recommend The Terminal List, True Believer, and Savage Son. Those are 3 books in an ongoing series by former SEAL Jack Carr. They are great action books that are well researched.

Cool I'll put them on my audible list.

fredw

Retired Moderator
If you enjoy the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child you will love the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.

Joe Pickett is a Wyoming Game Warden. He doesn't have super powers. He is a very believable character that stumbles into crimes and solves them. They are modern day westerns but they aren't cheesy. I've read two so far and love them.

Enjoy!
I enjoy the Pickett series.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I love both Reacher and Joe Pickett. Have read the Reacher series a couple times. Probably aughta run thru it again. Thanks for the reminder.

If you like detective or private eye series, my all time favorite is Spenser by Robert B Parker. 45 or so books in the series and they stand the test of time. I just finished the series for probably the 4rd time.

Jesse Stone series also by Robert B Parker is a great read. Small town sheriff in Maine.

Elvis Cole by Robert Crais is a good series to spend some time with. Private Eye in LA.

Lucas Davenport by John Sandford and a spinoff from it Virgil Flowers. Detectives in the wasteland of Minnesota. I need to start these again.

Mitch Rapp by Vince Flynn. About 20 books in the series. He is an undercover operative for the CIA. Good read for sure.

Dub

Righteous recommendation!!!

I’m wrapping up up Terminal List tonight...if I can stay awake. Already have the next one on the nightstand ready to go.

Mattval

-Turkey Hunters Digest -Dwain Bland and Jim Spencer
-Hunt and management of the wild turkey by Lovett Williams
-The Creature from Jekyll island by G Edward Griffin
-The One Thing by Gary Keller

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Man you can tell we are all getting older......
During college it would have been

PB
PH
OUI

just saying

Dub

@Mars & @jdgator both Vince Flynn (RIP, being carried on by another writer) and Brad Thor are both excellent with ongoing series that are along the lines of Jack Carr's works.

Good stuff, gentlemen.

Of course there are still new books in the works by the master, Stephen Hunter. His series on the Swagger generations are excellent. Great reads. Most highly recommend. Action packed.