Good time on farm pond yesterday catching bass!

Redneckatron

Man what I wouldn't do to have access to a place like that to fish if even once in my life. Two July 4ths ago I fished a private pond on a friend's parents property. While it was dink city, I caught more fish that day in the last three years of fishing combined. It was fun, and I've been chasing that dragon ever since. I have been firmly shut down on the occasion I've asked a land owner for access to fish their pond. And the fishing holes I frequented as a kid are now all gated communities that also run you off. The ones that aren't have been decimated by people harvesting anything they can fry with cast nets.

So what's the secret to getting in these honey holes? I'm not really into trespassing, too many kids depend on me for any type of trouble over wetting a line.

oldfella1962

Man what I wouldn't do to have access to a place like that to fish if even once in my life. Two July 4ths ago I fished a private pond on a friend's parents property. While it was dink city, I caught more fish that day in the last three years of fishing combined. It was fun, and I've been chasing that dragon ever since. I have been firmly shut down on the occasion I've asked a land owner for access to fish their pond. And the fishing holes I frequented as a kid are now all gated communities that also run you off. The ones that aren't have been decimated by people harvesting anything they can fry with cast nets.

So what's the secret to getting in these honey holes? I'm not really into trespassing, too many kids depend on me for any type of trouble over wetting a line.

PFA (Public Fishing Areas) are an option. I have only fished at the one nearest my home (the McDuffie PFA) but it's managed well and has a lot of bass, even for a bank fisherman like myself. It's more heavily fished than a private honey hole, but I look at that as a positive and here's why: if a pond isn't fished enough it might end up with too many small stunted bass. That probably won't happen in a PFA unless it's got a lot of acreage and few people fishing it.

Also a PFA will get trained professional constant management (hopefully) and that's a plus too.