Good wood chart for Meat Smoking

Swamprat

Swamprat
I bet citrus would be really good wood for some meats.

Citrus is great...mild smoke but tough as nails wood when dry. You could wear out a chain pretty quick on a saw if it was dead. Could get all you wanted after a few major freezes in the late 80's early 90's and the trees died off in the Northern range of the groves. Lake, Orange, Polk Counties.

Hard to find now...all the old groves were bulldozed down and turned into subdivisions and other useless things.

7 point

Citrus is great...mild smoke but tough as nails wood when dry. You could wear out a chain pretty quick on a saw if it was dead. Could get all you wanted after a few major freezes in the late 80's early 90's and the trees died off in the Northern range of the groves. Lake, Orange, Polk Counties.

Hard to find now...all the old groves were bulldozed down and turned into subdivisions and other useless things.
They don't grow citrus down here anymore they grow houses and golf courses.

JDBrown

I just read over this thread and thought I would add Maple, my buddy uses it for smoking pork butts and I decided to try it out on turkey, it was great, the smoke has a sweet smell and taste that reminds me of maple syrup, it's not overly strong, but is good.

OwlRNothing

Almost unbelievable but I swear it's true - best BBQ (smoked) meat I have ever had in my life was from my father-in-law's smoker. His secret was using random sticks (up to about two inches in diameter) from the woods behind his house. Just a mix of whatever was lying around. The man was a master grill and smoker guru. Sadly he passed away from Covid near the very beginning of the thing, and we miss him and his food very much.
Side note: he was pretty funny too, stating once that "someone should invent a chicken with a zipper." He hated skinning chickens. :)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Fan of apple or pear, but oak, hickory, maple will do

Latest posts