Good year for wild birds on public land

RLykens

Great way to end the puppy's first season. He started on wild birds at 6 months old. We moved a covey roughly 70% of the time. We will only take two birds per covey and don't hunt the same covey twice. We went through a stint of bad shooting and the weather was very dry. Also couldn't find several coveys that I know are there from seeing them and hearing them but just couldn't ever catch up to them. All in all a great season.

We flushed 13 wild coveys
Killed 12 wild quail
3 rabbits
All public land
20220227_084426.jpg20220219_125131.jpg51500 (1).jpeg51330.jpeg20211126_142230.jpg20211121_124435.jpg

spring

Looks like you had a lot of great times. As others have said, there’s nothing like finding a wild covey of birds with your own dog. So many don’t think what you’ve enjoyed is still available, but through the hard work and scouting you put in, combined with the effort of our DNR and the volunteers with groups like QF, accentuated by the respect for such a limited and precious resource, it clearly can be.

kingfish

Awesome job. Hearing more and more quail on the 2 NW Florida WMA's I hunt. They just controlled burned both of them and mowed the 5th rows in the planted pines. Hopefully this will help things.

Gaswamp

great stuff

RLykens

Good stuff. Is that the alpha 100 or 200 you have?

It's the 100. I absolutely love this thing. O had the 550 pro plus and liked it but I got a lemon. Returned the 550 and all they had were 100s which honestly i didn't want but now that I've had it I could live with out it. Highly recommend it even over the 200.

RLykens

Hey everyone thanks for the comments. We did have a great time and really enjoy the wild hunts. It's just fun being out there with the pups.

hawkeye123

Those are some of the best pics I've seen in a long time! Beautiful dogs & birds! Great job on being a true sportsman & steward..Grew up with English Setters bird hunting with my dad ..8 -10 covey rises a day in late 70's early 80's on my grandfather's farm to maybe 2-3 in 90' s to none ..great job on keeping it alive & persevering!