Good Year

Stump Shooter

Gotten kind of quiet around here so going to try and share my two bucks for the year, first wood arrow kills, first kills with my Bodnick Slick Stick Recurve, and my biggest traditional bow kill. I've shared these photos with some and thought I'd attempt to get them posted here. The spike came bitter sweet after missing a doe at 7 yards approximately 2 minutes before shooting the spike. Uncertain of my set up shooting my homemade wood arrows and a 40lb bow, 38lb at my 27" draw. The little spike came in giving me a shot inside 7 yards. All concerns were answered shooting the light weight set up after letting the string drop the little spike dropped and turned with the Surewood shaft tipped with the Ace Standard 160gr head dropping the deer in it's tracks, with a quick follow up shot my two year dry spell was over. After packing up camp and heading home from this trip I started hunting a local area about 35 min from the house. Had a perfect drizzling rain to hunt in getting set up by 3 P.M. noticed deer everywhere on the way to the hunting property. First noticed the 8 point about 70 yards walking straight down the ridge I was hunting. After standing up lifting the seat on my Loc On I pressed my back into the tree trying to determine what side of the tree he would pass. You know once in a blue moon things happen exactly how you draw it up, it did with the spike and was happening with this 8. This deer walked straight in on my set up walking directly under my stand, and stood for a couple of seconds before sticking his nose towards my Lone wolf stick. He made a costly mistake and should have listened to what his nose was telling him. 99.9% of the time that deer would have bolted out of there but he jumped about three steps from the tree with his tail up trying to figure things out. I am telling you I have never had a wind this steady and perfect. Believe it or not I was not worried about the shot I had already made my mind up I was going to kill this deer and the shot was going to be good. The deer was angled quartering very slightly so I picked a spot back to angle towards the heart. I had leaned out bending over, drew and released in one fluid motion and watched the arrow burry to the fletching. The deer took off low to the ground as if he was shot out of a cannon. Marking the last spot I saw the deer I just sat there thinking about what had just happened, after hunting with Trad gear for 25 years I had just shot my biggest buck. Well after waiting a good 30 min I got down and started tracking. took some looking to get on blood and the wet leaves were hampering my efforts spotting the blood. After about an hour later and about 150 yards I found him. After It all sank in I finally realizes the deer had ran straight down into a deep canyon and I was alone. luckily got a cousin to drive out and give me a hand with the field quarter and pack out. Hope you enjoyed the read not much on telling stories but what a year with time to spare, only I'm tagged out on bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0187 resized.jpg
    IMG_0187 resized.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 123

Al33

WOOHOO!! Way to go Robert!! Of course they are all trophies with a trad bow but that 8 is a hoss! Loved the story and really happy for you!! Thanks for sharing it here!

Clipper

Thanks for sharing your hunts with us. Youre right, the forum has been kinda quiet lately, so its good to see some kills. Congratulations on doing the job right and that fantastic buck.

Jake Allen

Yea man, two dandy dear and great hunts! I am proud for you Robert!