Goodbye to the shotgun days

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Come to WV and hunt Green Bottom or Mcclinic WMAs along the Ohio river, they fly great and our DNR does an awesome job. Also hunt grit piles and waterholes, not as fast pace, but works, did it at Cherry Point

Got spoiled in 1998 in Texas on Medina Base and white wings, never hunted them before that, but have had great shoots in GA, VA, NC and WV after TX, no fees

Baroque Brass

In 2007 I went to Argentina to shoot dove. Shells were a little pricey but it was a once in a lifetime trip for me and I’m glad I went, it’s a fond memory. I think shells are about $1/round now, I doubt I’ll ever go back.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Never was a big dove hunter. Now the cry of a beagle hot on a rabbit trail will get my heart to racing and bringing that shotgun to the ready. Been loving it since my earliest days in the field. My age and the state of things had me focus on the guns I hunt with and stock ammo for them. I have 20 gauge and .410, with the right loads both cover everything from rabbits to turkeys.

Gbr5pb

All my uncle’s used to have bird dogs and all the men folks bird hunted Christmas Day until lunch time back when I was a kid! That was before quail went extinct in north Georgia. Friends used to invite to shoot doves but that has went away too

Buford_Dawg

Last pay shoot I went on was also $125. Turned out the field was baited and DNR showed up. Landowner refunded our money and I think he got a stiff fine. We were able to convince game wardens we were unaware of baiting and it was a hassle but he let us off. Not a good Day.
Last one here as well, paid about same price, was unknowingly baited several days before opener as we had scouted it the Sunday before. Did get a refund and GW's knew most of us had no idea of the bait situation. Never again pay for a hunt.

grouper throat

They are some great memories. We had fields spread out from Fl to Ga that we shot when I was a kid and we shot at least one afternoon every weekend. It was what I looked forward to as a kid.

The last place we had was our own field, and it was planted in pines in 2001. The pines are really close to cutting now and I think often how my boys won't know that fun of burning up a shotgun barrel.

Reactions: Dub

RatherB

BANNED
I’ve never had anything but a great time shooting doves on opening day. Most have been public shoots on WMAs. Sometimes it was hot, sometimes the birds didn’t show, but always had fun. For our family, it’s the kickoff of hunting in the fall. Many great memories and hopefully many more to make.

Boondocks

Their is nothing like a Georgia football game on the radio and a good dove shoot on opening day. That makes for a fun afternoon and a good cooking that evening in Southwest Georgia. It might be some cold beverages involved in the evening.

bighonkinjeep

Growing up I dont ever remember anybody paying to shoot dove. No prepared fields either. It was always on a working farm over soy beans corn or peanuts. Somebody in the community always seemed to know where they were flying and dove shoots were always freinds, family and neighbors. Dont think Ive seen em fly like they used to when Ga had a lot more agriculture.

Gator89

My family grew watermelons in central FL. After melons were done, we would plant milo and 20 - 30 acres of browntop millet. If the browntop did not attract them early, the milo would bring the dove in late. But we always had some good shoots at some point each year.

georgia_home

i hunt dove as there ain’t much else to hunt locally without winning a lottery. several places make it more challenging as they require steel shot/non tox and that makes them more expensive then the lead rounds. 13-14$ box. But it’s fun, a couple friends go. And an opportunity to humble myself with my shooting skills. My incredible(LY AWFUL) hit percentage!

that said, I just drew the culmination tag of my hunting career …

ml elk this oct/nov. In a different area then the one I had pretty well scouted and dialed in.

Core Lokt

I haven't been on a dove hunt in 4-5 years since a friend sold his place but I still hang with the ducks every weekend and several Wednesday's during the season. I still get shotgun time... All I shoot these days is a 20.

basstrkr

I'm 70. been dove hunting every year since I was 12. Thank you lord , amen. When my shoulder starts bothering me from shooting I will buy a new gas operated automatic, have the barrel ported, the forcing cone extended and polished and shoot right on till the funeral.
And no I didn't say i was good at it.

Havana Dude

It ain’t about shotgun recoil fellas, it’s about loss of opportunity and the inability to produce my own opportunity. Glad to hear some still get to have the experience.

one hogman

I long for the days of hoarding a few boxes of dove ammo for that first day of dove opener, or a day at the range setting clays free from their cardboard enclosure, half of which met their demise when they hit the ground. There was a time when most turned to dust in mid air. Afraid those days are over, at least for me. Dove shoots, for me, have largely disappeared. I suppose I could shell out a couple hunnit, for a limit of bacon wrapped dove on the grill, but anymore, that just seems like a ridiculous idea. I could get a box of clays I guess, and sling them for myself, but my old shoulder would probably not appreciate it. This isn’t a whining post, just an observation from someone who is aging, and whose priorities are evolving. Fond memories of a group of us guys slinging clays for each other, or shooting up a public dove field. I’m no better than anyone on this planet, but the way things have turned, I have no desire to share a field with folks I don’t know. I share my thought for the younger crowd. Enjoy your days afield every chance you get. Take advantage of every sit at a dove field you can. Take your boy, or your girl, like I did. Enjoy the time you have with them. I wish I had a pic of the stool I made for my boy to sit on while we shot dove. He was a little guy, so that’s why I didn’t get him a regular stool. I fashioned an old paint bucket with a home made camo cushion seat, that he carried proudly, with BB gun in hand. Time flies boys( young men) enjoy your season( of life).
I agree, We bought a champion wheely bird at a deal a few years back, It will throw them till you get tired, not cheap but if two or more go in , not that bad, Finding a public land dove hunt where all people are courteous and respectful of each other is harder than it used to be, I refuse to go there too, at 71 , I always need a shade and just can't take the heat like I used to.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Clear cuts on a wma that is close to water are fairly decent. It doesn't attract dove hunters for some reason. Not a ton of birds, but enough to make it worth your while.