Goose and Duck hunting Neat Atlanta and Southern Georgia

GTMODawg

BANNED
There really is no secret handshake. First you find the peanut fields holding geese then you knock on the door. Ask if you can hunt it the next morning. You'll get a yes more then you'll get a no.

Sooooo....any suggestions on general areas of the state where this is possible? I have a sizeable filed set that I am thinking seriously about trading to a buddy in Lubbock Texas for a couple of hunts a season until I get too old and fat to make the trip....but if it is really possible to do what you suggest I may wait a season or two LOL. I ain't skeered to travel....

One would think that if indeed peanut farmers were wont to allow folks to shoot geese on their place those in South Carolina and Alabama may be equally open to the idea as their brethren in Georgia. That opens up a bunch of possibilities LOL.

Peanut farmers in West Texas and New Mexico are definitely open to the idea of shooting cranes and snows off their places....apparently both do some serious damage to peanuts somehow. All I know is generally speaking they are about as likely to say yes as no....

I generally have had pretty good success asking for permission to hunt....I had some areas around Lubbock I could hunt and nearly the entirety of the panhandle of Texas is either leased or optioned to lease for geese....but I managed to get a yes from time to time. Same is true of New Mexico.....but for different reasons....they thought I had lost my mind asking LOL. No one hunts geese in eastern New Mexico yet the area can be pretty good given the lack of pressure.....

dang

DANG !!!
If you’re new and unfamiliar with how the system works I’ll remind you to look into the quota hunt application process. Certain WMA’s in the state offer hunts to a selected number of hunters (quota). Start applying as soon as you have a license, if you don’t get drawn, you gain a preference point you can use to wager the following year to improve your odds of being selected. May not pay off immediately, but it’s free, so apply and down the line you will thank yourself when you have points built up. This isn’t specific to only waterfowl hunts either.

If you’re new and unfamiliar with how the system works I’ll remind you to look into the quota hunt application process. Certain WMA’s in the state offer hunts to a selected number of hunters (quota). Start applying as soon as you have a license, if you don’t get drawn, you gain a preference point you can use to wager the following year to improve your odds of being selected. May not pay off immediately, but it’s free, so apply and down the line you will thank yourself when you have points built up. This isn’t specific to only waterfowl hunts either.

Thank you for that information!!

I looked around and saw the Rum Creek WMA doesn't appear to have the quota for waterfowl ( Goose and duck).

Do you know if that's correct?

Any information is appreciated!

I used to hunt NY at several places on the eastern end of Lake Ontario every year for 4 days each trip there.

Prepare to be VERY dissapointed with waterfowl hunting in GA. lol

FloppinBob

Got any friends or family in Arkansas?

Arkansas ain't no better these days. Too many people. Every field is flooded up to a pit, and farmers are charging way too much for non producing fields. If a field up there hasn't always had ducks, it won't ever get ducks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dang

DANG !!!
Thank you for that information!!

I looked around and saw the Rum Creek WMA doesn't appear to have the quota for waterfowl ( Goose and duck).

Do you know if that's correct?

Any information is appreciated!

Below is what I show listed in the wma regs for Rum Creek. You can find the specific WMA regs here (last years):

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/w-m-a-regulations-a-c/

If you aren’t sure you can always call the office for that region as well.

Rum creek
Waterfowl
Shooting hours end at noon for all areas.
  • MARSH Project Q3 CYouth s: Dec. 12, Jan. 16
  • Area west of Juliette Rd. is only open for 2 youth quota hunts.
  • East of Ebenezer Rd. (includes Lake Juliette):Open for all hunters. Federal Youth Waterfowl Days & Wed.-Sun., during state season. No motor in excess of 25 hp may be operated on Lake Juliette.
  • Youth Area: Between Juliette Rd. and Ebenezer Rd. only youth may hunt. Federal Youth Waterfowl Days & Wed.-Sun., during state season.