Got a what is it for you all.....deer or cat???

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Whatever it is, it does appear to have a long sloping, black tipped tail. What part of the country did you get this picture, Bill?

shdw633

Whatever it is, it does appear to have a long sloping, black tipped tail. What part of the country did you get this picture, Bill?

Dodge county

shdw633

Sniped Panther.JPG

I've tried to blow it up and enhance it a little and this is the best I can get it until I get up to my camp next weekend and pull the card.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You may just have something there. I'd like to get a copy of the full-sized pic from the card to play with in photoshop.

shdw633

You may just have something there. I'd like to get a copy of the full-sized pic from the card to play with in photoshop.

I'll send it to you as soon as I get it next weekend.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
1.3 million photos???? You look at better than 350 pix a day...

That boggles my mind...

:LOL:

NO this will really boggle your mind !!!!

I have actually reviewed as many as 10,975 photos from just one change-out of my cards and it took me two days to complete that review process.

Well I have always been somewhat of a perfectionist BUT after my late wife of 31- 1/2 years passed away back in December of 2006, I felt pretty much lost. I stopped hunting entirely for a period of 7 years during my late wife's illness. It took me another 3 years to even feel alive again so I didn't even hunt for a period of 10 years.

When I finally decided to begin hunting again, that is when my obsession with trail cameras began. I am also pretty much a loner when it comes to hunting and fishing as I enjoy the solitude of my outdoors. I get to do and see things that most people will never be able to experience and the feeling of enjoyment and accomplishment gives me a peaceful feeling that keeps my blood pressure much lower than most.

Last year, I never even went online to get my (FREE) hunting and fishing license because I never went hunting and fishing. During the 2018 season, I did actually go deer hunting about 3 times or so and I did harvest one nice 8-pointer just to replenish the freezer. The fact is, for several years now, I have enjoyed watching all of the "critters" on my property much more than hunting them.

Well I am really a perfectionist when it comes to trail cameras as I have purchased a total of 95 WGI cameras during these past 10 years. (I do still have a fair amount of spare cameras for future deployment as well.) I have also kept very detailed records on every camera when it is installed in the woods as I have an exact camera location assigned to every camera. I also keep detailed records on each set of new batteries that goes into my cameras as I use a Digital multi-tester to physically check EVERY NEW battery before taking each set of (8) into the woods. Then when I visit the woods on each trip to pull the cards etc, I check each camera and also the energy level remaining. Based on that, I decide as the energy level gets down to only one bar, I then change the batteries out and install a new set. After I get back home, I even check every "used set" to see what energy is actually left at that point. I put a "checked" set of 8 new batteries into a "snack-size" Zip-loc bag and put a tag inside each bag that shows the date of purchase on it. When I actually change-out a set of used batteries from a camera and replace with these new batteries, I actually use an ink pen to write the date of "change-out" on every new battery being installed. I then take the "used" batteries and put into that empty original Zip-loc bag and write onto the tag just which camera location and the date of change-out. When I get back home later, I check these used batteries and determine the remaining energy level, then I write all of this information on the page that is for each individual camera location that is in my notebook of EVERY camera model and location that I have ever put in the woods from day one. I know exactly when I installed new batteries for each camera, what energy is actually left in the old batteries to be discarded, ultimately how many photos were taken on each set of batteries, the exact life of each set of batteries in whatever model camera that it might be.

How many of you that are using the "non-cell" type cameras know that NEW AA size Duracell batteries actually check at 1.61-1.62 Volts of energy (even though they are rated at 1.5 Volts) for all intentions etc. Also how many of you know that when the remaining voltage reaches down below the 1.30 Volts level, the performance of the camera begins to suffer. I would bet that less that 3 % of camera users actually know that fact, but they should. I set up multiple cameras in certain gathering places from different angles that I have determined over these years and I rarely miss a photo of any critter if it travels through that area. The good thing is that most times, I do have a good choice of what ever photo that I decide to share with others. The critters in my area are NOT spooked by my cameras either as they are very accustomed to them 24/7/365.

I have been asked several times to help someone that just didn't know how to begin to program their "new" trail cameras for decent results and I have been glad to use my knowledge to speed up their learning curves dramatically. I am glad to share that information as it was a real learning experience for me along this path especially during the earlier years.

Because of what I do, I know every detail of each camera and battery performance over these years as well. I also ONLY use Duracell batteries in my cameras as Duracell has been one of "my customers" for the past 40 years as well. I also donate all of these used batteries to a local company that ultimately sends them to a recycling operation as well.

(I will also bet that 99.99999% of people that reads this doesn't know that on EVERY Duracell battery, there is a code number imprinted on it that shows exactly the manufacturing plant location, date of manufacture, actual working shift of manufacture, and also isolates the actual time period of that particular shift on the date of manufacture. This way, they can track it back to see exactly who the person is that was responsible for this manufacture.) PS: Yes, it takes a really good magnifying glass to read it BUT back about 5 years ago when I had two "dead" brand new QUANTUM batteries in a new package, I called Duracell and they asked me about the code number information, etc. After giving that information, they were able to tell me every detail mentioned above as to who was actually responsible for that production run. I emailed them a copy of the Sam's Club receipt which showed about $260 worth of these batteries and they immediately sent me 96 (two of their 48-count) replacement batteries.

I could care less that some people might think that I am obsessed with trail cameras as such BUT when it comes to WGI cameras and their performance, I surely know what I am talking about in every aspect. (The fact is...YES, I am obsessed as such but I love spending time alone in the woods with so many critters).

Now ya'll really do know what makes me so obsessed with the outdoors !!!! :pop:

And yes, I still stand by my original thought of the first photo being a coyote too.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Yep, my mind IS boggled.

If I ever do decide to mess with a camera, I know who to ask for any advice...

Sounds like you have found a hobby within a hobby, and that is nothing but very cool in my book.

I hereby yield to the man with the Eagle Eye, and the .444...

The pic is a danged COYOTE!

:LOL::cheers:

kbuck1

That only looks like a deer to me. The long sweeping , black tipped tail is the deers hind leg stretched back

This is a prime example of the difference a good camera would have made. There should be several pics of that before he got across there. At the very least the first pic should have been him entering the frame or maybe even centered.

I'm not knocking the camera but people argue all the the time they have 50 dollar cameras that do just as good as any other one. I have cheap ones and what I consider to be nice ones. There's definitely a difference

Last edited:

shdw633

That only looks like a deer to me. The long sweeping , black tipped tail is the deers hind leg stretched back

This is a prime example of the difference a good camera would have made. There should be several pics of that before he got across there. At the very least the first pic should have been him entering the frame or maybe even centered.

I'm not knocking the camera but people argue all the the time they have 50 dollar cameras that do just as good as any other one. I have cheap ones and what I consider to be nice ones. There's definitely a difference

Well first off that's a cell cam pic and not off the card so I expect it to be less clear than what I get off the card. I am not saying Spypoint is the best pic by no means but that is a Spypoint Link-Evo and was a $200 camera, I think they are $250 now. Second, I have the camera set up for 1 pic with a 10 minute delay between pics. The camera had just taken a pic about 8 or 9 minutes earlier so this would have been right at the time when the delay time passed and the camera was allowed to take a pic so it has nothing to do with the speed of the camera or detection, I get plenty of pics with just heads as they are walking into the area.

shdw633

I looked at the SD card pic out of the camera and it was a deer, no long tail, just the way the deers rear leg was positioned when the camera took the shot.

IrishSniper

NO this will really boggle your mind !!!!

I have actually reviewed as many as 10,975 photos from just one change-out of my cards and it took me two days to complete that review process.

Well I have always been somewhat of a perfectionist BUT after my late wife of 31- 1/2 years passed away back in December of 2006, I felt pretty much lost. I stopped hunting entirely for a period of 7 years during my late wife's illness. It took me another 3 years to even feel alive again so I didn't even hunt for a period of 10 years.

When I finally decided to begin hunting again, that is when my obsession with trail cameras began. I am also pretty much a loner when it comes to hunting and fishing as I enjoy the solitude of my outdoors. I get to do and see things that most people will never be able to experience and the feeling of enjoyment and accomplishment gives me a peaceful feeling that keeps my blood pressure much lower than most.

Last year, I never even went online to get my (FREE) hunting and fishing license because I never went hunting and fishing. During the 2018 season, I did actually go deer hunting about 3 times or so and I did harvest one nice 8-pointer just to replenish the freezer. The fact is, for several years now, I have enjoyed watching all of the "critters" on my property much more than hunting them.

Well I am really a perfectionist when it comes to trail cameras as I have purchased a total of 95 WGI cameras during these past 10 years. (I do still have a fair amount of spare cameras for future deployment as well.) I have also kept very detailed records on every camera when it is installed in the woods as I have an exact camera location assigned to every camera. I also keep detailed records on each set of new batteries that goes into my cameras as I use a Digital multi-tester to physically check EVERY NEW battery before taking each set of (8) into the woods. Then when I visit the woods on each trip to pull the cards etc, I check each camera and also the energy level remaining. Based on that, I decide as the energy level gets down to only one bar, I then change the batteries out and install a new set. After I get back home, I even check every "used set" to see what energy is actually left at that point. I put a "checked" set of 8 new batteries into a "snack-size" Zip-loc bag and put a tag inside each bag that shows the date of purchase on it. When I actually change-out a set of used batteries from a camera and replace with these new batteries, I actually use an ink pen to write the date of "change-out" on every new battery being installed. I then take the "used" batteries and put into that empty original Zip-loc bag and write onto the tag just which camera location and the date of change-out. When I get back home later, I check these used batteries and determine the remaining energy level, then I write all of this information on the page that is for each individual camera location that is in my notebook of EVERY camera model and location that I have ever put in the woods from day one. I know exactly when I installed new batteries for each camera, what energy is actually left in the old batteries to be discarded, ultimately how many photos were taken on each set of batteries, the exact life of each set of batteries in whatever model camera that it might be.

How many of you that are using the "non-cell" type cameras know that NEW AA size Duracell batteries actually check at 1.61-1.62 Volts of energy (even though they are rated at 1.5 Volts) for all intentions etc. Also how many of you know that when the remaining voltage reaches down below the 1.30 Volts level, the performance of the camera begins to suffer. I would bet that less that 3 % of camera users actually know that fact, but they should. I set up multiple cameras in certain gathering places from different angles that I have determined over these years and I rarely miss a photo of any critter if it travels through that area. The good thing is that most times, I do have a good choice of what ever photo that I decide to share with others. The critters in my area are NOT spooked by my cameras either as they are very accustomed to them 24/7/365.

I have been asked several times to help someone that just didn't know how to begin to program their "new" trail cameras for decent results and I have been glad to use my knowledge to speed up their learning curves dramatically. I am glad to share that information as it was a real learning experience for me along this path especially during the earlier years.

Because of what I do, I know every detail of each camera and battery performance over these years as well. I also ONLY use Duracell batteries in my cameras as Duracell has been one of "my customers" for the past 40 years as well. I also donate all of these used batteries to a local company that ultimately sends them to a recycling operation as well.

(I will also bet that 99.99999% of people that reads this doesn't know that on EVERY Duracell battery, there is a code number imprinted on it that shows exactly the manufacturing plant location, date of manufacture, actual working shift of manufacture, and also isolates the actual time period of that particular shift on the date of manufacture. This way, they can track it back to see exactly who the person is that was responsible for this manufacture.) PS: Yes, it takes a really good magnifying glass to read it BUT back about 5 years ago when I had two "dead" brand new QUANTUM batteries in a new package, I called Duracell and they asked me about the code number information, etc. After giving that information, they were able to tell me every detail mentioned above as to who was actually responsible for that production run. I emailed them a copy of the Sam's Club receipt which showed about $260 worth of these batteries and they immediately sent me 96 (two of their 48-count) replacement batteries.

I could care less that some people might think that I am obsessed with trail cameras as such BUT when it comes to WGI cameras and their performance, I surely know what I am talking about in every aspect. (The fact is...YES, I am obsessed as such but I love spending time alone in the woods with so many critters).

Now ya'll really do know what makes me so obsessed with the outdoors !!!! :pop:

And yes, I still stand by my original thought of the first photo being a coyote too.

That's the most unexpected but super interesting thing I've read in a hot minute. I'm only buying Duracell for the rest of my life now.