Got my Cohutta WMA mount back

dhsnke

Lol, I gave you too much credit, most folks wouldn’t name a spot around here. Was just joking with you. Thought the smilie face gave it away..
I’ve been to Georgia once for the tractor fair, but like y’all’s forum. That said, I’d expect extra competition on your favorite wma after this thread. That was an awesome buck.
sorry for the comeback. I was a little stressed at work that day. I missed the smilie face.

dhsnke

It’s taken me years and a lot of luck to find some spots and good deer up there.
I 've been hunting Cohutta since 1993. Your right it takes a lot of leg work and patience to find some good spots. I killed a 132 inch 11 point back in 1995 and seen a few monsters during bow season that were out of range. The spot I killed him in was the first time I hunted it. It is actually on of the prettiest spots I've ever hunted on Cohutta. I'll be right back in there this year.

Professor

Will you be back up there this year? I met you at the check station the Saturday after I killed him.
I remember, and yes, I plan on being there. My son and I are heading up this weekend to check a couple of spots in the wilderness. Hopefully, I will find some good acorns growing on the trees.

dhsnke

My son wants to know how old he was and how much he weighed. I remember he was not a heavy deer and perhaps run thin from chasing does.
He dressed 126lbs (thank Goodness) it was a long drag. They said is age was probably 8.5 years. Not sure how accurate that is because over 6.5 you really can't tell from the teeth. But they were really worn down. He was definitely going down hill. I would have loved to seen him in his prime.

Professor

He dressed 126lbs (thank Goodness) it was a long drag. They said is age was probably 8.5 years. Not sure how accurate that is because over 6.5 you really can't tell from the teeth. But they were really worn down. He was definitely going down hill. I would have loved to seen him in his prime.
I had decided that they aged every mature deer at 4 and a half. There was a thread last year in the Bear hunting forum about this. It is a very inexact science, and once they hit 4 and a half becomes even less reliable. I have taken two mature bucks in. I thought both were 6 or 7 and a half but they said 4 and a half.

dhsnke

I had decided that they aged every mature deer at 4 and a half. There was a thread last year in the Bear hunting forum about this. It is a very inexact science, and once they hit 4 and a half becomes even less reliable. I have taken two mature bucks in. I thought both were 6 or 7 and a half but they said 4 and a half.
If you rely on the jawbone you can be pretty accurate to 6.5 but you have to know what your doing. I killed one up there back in 1995 that they aged at 6.5. The guy that puleed my jawbone looked at it for about 2 minutes and said he's at least 8.5 not sure how accurate he really was. he does have a really grey muzzle though. I think I might start sending off the teeth and get an accurate age on my mature deer

Last edited:

dang

DANG !!!
If you rely on the jawbone you can be pretty accurate to 6.5 but you have to know what your doing. I killed one up there back in 1995 that they aged at 6.5. The guy that puleed my jawbone looked at it for about 2 minutes and said he's at least 8.5 not sure how accurate he really was. he does have a really grey muzzle though. I think I might start sending off the teeth and get an accurate age on my mature deer
I listened to a pretty extensive podcast about six months ago that I can't find anymore and they talked about the different methods and some studies that were done. I dont remember all the details but I do remember being VERY supprised at how inconsistent/inaccurate they found the jawbone aging to be after 3.5 years old.

dhsnke

I listened to a pretty extensive podcast about six months ago that I can't find anymore and they talked about the different methods and some studies that were done. I dont remember all the details but I do remember being VERY supprised at how inconsistent/inaccurate they found the jawbone aging to be after 3.5 years old.
There is a real good video on youtube on how to age deer from the jaw bones

been following since you got that buck!! Awesome . I’ve been up there for three years and wife killed one smaller buck in the pics. This year is the year though. Got a few bruisers on cam and three different bear!! There there if you work for em. Took me three cam sets to get these 4 miles deep. On a high back ridge , Running on the rim. AS you can see the dates taken. So they have shed those and hopefully a lot better this year. Good luck to all them mountain brothers out there! It’s our year in the Cohutta haha:)

Attachments

• 01428B09-C805-4889-AF41-F5A955FF0C73.jpeg
    01428B09-C805-4889-AF41-F5A955FF0C73.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 37
  • E564C7DB-3249-418B-B96E-C8D772E6D9C6.jpeg
    E564C7DB-3249-418B-B96E-C8D772E6D9C6.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9F5F5F90-4B60-417F-9E3E-5BF1C4A66EAB.jpeg
    9F5F5F90-4B60-417F-9E3E-5BF1C4A66EAB.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 2051013E-40BE-443B-BC6F-5B3D9C10FA11.jpeg
    2051013E-40BE-443B-BC6F-5B3D9C10FA11.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 38

dhsnke

been following since you got that buck!! Awesome . I’ve been up there for three years and wife killed one smaller buck in the pics. This year is the year though. Got a few bruisers on cam and three different bear!! There there if you work for em. Took me three cam sets to get these 4 miles deep. On a high back ridge , Running on the rim. AS you can see the dates taken. So they have shed those and hopefully a lot better this year. Good luck to all them mountain brothers out there! It’s our year in the Cohutta haha:)
Man you got my blood pumping now. If your wife gets tired of going with you let me know. lol

cliffdweller

Absolutely gorgeous!! Congrats on a deer of a lifetime for the mtns!!