Got my diagnosis today.

georgia_home

that looks like some alien harness in a sci-fi movie!

been having some back issues myself lately. Trying to get the doc to diagnose whatever is going on. Hope it gets figured out soon.

I (the Wife) know exactly what you are dealing with ... eleven surgeries (back) ...five or six different sets of rods and screws .... since 1994 .... double curve ...backwards "S" ....fused from T3 down including the Sacrum ....

Prayers for you and your wife ...

oppthepop

I haven't said much about it but for some time I've been having big problems. Bad back. My left leg goes lifeless and down I go, hard. This is just one thing, there are others.
My wife and I was talking about it, I had some big gifted students when I was teaching Tae Kwon Do and they all want to spar with the instructor. Those big guys can hit and kick with a lot of power and a couple of weeks of it really beat me down. Especially the blocking arm. And I got numerous shots in that arm.
I messed with a lot of horses. I would train the nasty ones and try and fix the problems bad handling had caused. I broke my share also and ate dirt a lot.Those horses got their licks in too. I used to play a lot of softball. A lot. I played on a couple of teams at once plus a tournament team. Some weekends I played 5 or more games a day.
We decided all of it had taken a toll and really beat up my body. Like the time a student kicked me in the back with a flying side kick. And I'll be 70 this fall.
I can't walk anymore without a rollator or a walker. My wife won't let me drive. And the pain is bad and getting worse. I can't hunt. Or hold a heavy gun. So I finally went to a surgeon.

It seems I have 2 major problems in the lumbar region of my back. One I had self diagnosed, the second came as a surprise.
All this has been going on for a long time, getting plenty of time to get worse.
I started out with X Rays, then a MRI, this one showed I had a real problem with my back. So he ordered a mylogram and a emg, nerve test.
So the nurse came in first and delivered the news. I have spinal stenosis, thats where the spinal column closes up on the inside and restricts the nerves, blood vessels etc. I also have scoliosis (spelling?) in my extreme lower back. This is where the spine is twisted. Mine twists in 2 directions. They can't figure how that happened.
Then the Dr. came in and said, We are going to open up the spine and relieve the stenosis, hopefully that will relieve most of the pain and get you back walking again. But the spine is twisted in such a way that there is no good way to fix it.
Then I asked when I could start fishing and hunting. He said "Ask me next fall."
So they started right off getting permission from the Insurance Co. And doing other things to get me scheduled for surgery. They will call me when they need something from me.
Sounds like fun don't it.
Prayers brother -

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I haven't said much about it but for some time I've been having big problems. Bad back. My left leg goes lifeless and down I go, hard. This is just one thing, there are others.
My wife and I was talking about it, I had some big gifted students when I was teaching Tae Kwon Do and they all want to spar with the instructor. Those big guys can hit and kick with a lot of power and a couple of weeks of it really beat me down. Especially the blocking arm. And I got numerous shots in that arm.
I messed with a lot of horses. I would train the nasty ones and try and fix the problems bad handling had caused. I broke my share also and ate dirt a lot.Those horses got their licks in too. I used to play a lot of softball. A lot. I played on a couple of teams at once plus a tournament team. Some weekends I played 5 or more games a day.
We decided all of it had taken a toll and really beat up my body. Like the time a student kicked me in the back with a flying side kick. And I'll be 70 this fall.
I can't walk anymore without a rollator or a walker. My wife won't let me drive. And the pain is bad and getting worse. I can't hunt. Or hold a heavy gun. So I finally went to a surgeon.

It seems I have 2 major problems in the lumbar region of my back. One I had self diagnosed, the second came as a surprise.
All this has been going on for a long time, getting plenty of time to get worse.
I started out with X Rays, then a MRI, this one showed I had a real problem with my back. So he ordered a mylogram and a emg, nerve test.
So the nurse came in first and delivered the news. I have spinal stenosis, thats where the spinal column closes up on the inside and restricts the nerves, blood vessels etc. I also have scoliosis (spelling?) in my extreme lower back. This is where the spine is twisted. Mine twists in 2 directions. They can't figure how that happened.
Then the Dr. came in and said, We are going to open up the spine and relieve the stenosis, hopefully that will relieve most of the pain and get you back walking again. But the spine is twisted in such a way that there is no good way to fix it.
Then I asked when I could start fishing and hunting. He said "Ask me next fall."
So they started right off getting permission from the Insurance Co. And doing other things to get me scheduled for surgery. They will call me when they need something from me.
Sounds like fun don't it.
Please accept my sincerest wishes for a healthy recovery. A positive attitude and focused effort in any rehab needed will have you feeling well again.

snuffy

Sorry to hear this.
Hope they can get everything worked out and soon.

Prayers sent.

Reactions: Dub

Darkhorse

Please accept my sincerest wishes for a healthy recovery. A positive attitude and focused effort in any rehab needed will have you feeling well again.

The surgeon and my family practioner have talked a couple of times and it was decided the best rehab for me is to put me in a professional rehabilitation center. I would stay several nights or weeks, however long it takes. This way they could observe my progress and work with me several times a day. I agreed.
Whatever it takes to get me back in the woods, up a tree, or in a ground blind, is what I want to do.
I told them all, "This may sound funny to you all but there is nothing more important to me than getting fit enough to hunt. I've been doing it since I was a boy. Deer hunting when there were hardly any deer to hunt. You never know when a season will be your last season for many reasons. And I don't intend to end mine because of the problem I'm having now."

Big7

The Oracle
Prayers lifted for you !!
I hope you get better soon.

My X is eat all up with that and she won't slow down.

Back, neck and both knees.

Reactions: Dub

Sargent

My dad (76) had stenosis surgery about 7 or 8 years ago.

It took him about 2 months to get over it. It helped him tremendously.

He was good up until about a year ago. It is not nearly as bad as it was before he had surgery. He could get a "tune up" on it, but he is too stubborn.

Good luck!

OwlRNothing

I just went through the same thing ( minus the spine twist ) at 52. I won't lie to ya - the road back isn't fun, but most parts of it aren't as long or as terrible as you (anyone) might imagine. I think the worst part was the pretty extreme immobility right after the procedure that lasted a week or a bit more, and then the nerve pain that seemed to "get worse" as I came off the pain killers. Other than that, it's been a pretty decent ride and I hope and pray yours goes the same or better.

In another month, they are supposed to release my restrictions if all looks well. 12 weeks of restrictions for me b/c they did 4 vert. and replaced two discs. I've had back issues since I was in my early 20's so I knew something like this was most likely coming, but it was still hard to watch the spring days go by knowing the fish were biting.

You're in my prayers. Hope all goes wonderful for ya and if you ever want or need someone to talk to about the ordeal, just shoot me a pm on here.

PS - the procedure did eliminate all of the incredibly severe pain I was having in my back and down my legs, so even if things crop up later, at least there was some relief from that.

bighonkinjeep

Unsolicited advice but please heed. Please dont let anyone but a neurosurgeon, and a great one at that, even consider putting your back under the knife. I wish you well.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
The surgeon and my family practioner have talked a couple of times and it was decided the best rehab for me is to put me in a professional rehabilitation center. I would stay several nights or weeks, however long it takes. This way they could observe my progress and work with me several times a day. I agreed.
Whatever it takes to get me back in the woods, up a tree, or in a ground blind, is what I want to do.
I told them all, "This may sound funny to you all but there is nothing more important to me than getting fit enough to hunt. I've been doing it since I was a boy. Deer hunting when there were hardly any deer to hunt. You never know when a season will be your last season for many reasons. And I don't intend to end mine because of the problem I'm having now."
Keep up that good attitude and the fight.. you'll get there IF you take your time.

frankwright

I am rooting for you. Hopefully they can do you some good and get you back in the woods.
My back has been bad for a long time too. Age and 40 years of working on aircraft took it toils. My health report is full of big words:
(Lumbar spondylosis3. Lumbosacral spondylosis• XR, lumbar spine4. Lumbar disc prolapse with radiculopathy5. Sacroiliac joint pain6. Lumbar radiculopathy)
I know they said my L1 and L2 were already fused.
Chiropractor has kept me active for a lot of years but a year ago while getting some pigs out of a trap and processing them I jacked my back up.
Pain going down my legs and butt was so bad I had to hold on to furniture to go from bed to bathroom. Chiro tried and tried but couldn't help. Three or four different pills didn't help along with PT.
Finally two spinal injections took my pain from 9.5 to 3! I have had them twice more with minor improvement. Went for more Xrays Monday so we will wait and see.
They are not cutting on me unless that is the last choice.

TJay

Man I'm sorry for the trials you're going through with your back. Scrolling through the posts one thing that stands out for me is that a lot of us that replied are about the same age and are going through the same physical battles. Another thing that stands out is how much "prayer" is mentioned. Of all the things you can do I believe prayer will help you more than anything. Medicine is limited God is not. Like many I've recently had back surgery and just knowing many on here are praying for you sure helps. I am much improved from my previous condition and I'm thankful for that. I also pray that you find the relief that you seek.