Got my first Bear at Cohutta!

It was good meet you. CONGRATS on the all harvests!!! A great year of memories. Cohutta is a special place that for me that generates some sleepless nights in anticipation that lingers from year to year. I believe you may experience the same going forward. I was hooked back in August 1999, on literally my very first time in Cohutta, I was able to film a 400+ boar Bear for about 20 minutes. I was a newbie to GA and have seen over 70 GA Bears since then. Our paths will probably cross again. Enjoy the rewards of time well spent trampling leaves.

WoodlandScout82

It was good meet you. CONGRATS on the all harvests!!! A great year of memories. Cohutta is a special place that for me that generates some sleepless nights in anticipation that lingers from year to year. I believe you may experience the same going forward. I was hooked back in August 1999, on literally my very first time in Cohutta, I was able to film a 400+ boar Bear for about 20 minutes. I was a newbie to GA and have seen over 70 GA Bears since then. Our paths will probably cross again. Enjoy the rewards of time well spent trampling leaves.
It was nice to meet you too! I still find it ironic that my wife and I saw you in your vehicle at random in the summer when we rode up there in the summer, and you just happened to be parked exactly where I dragged the deer out on the hunt. This was only my second season of hunting up there and It's going to be an every year thing for me.

It was nice to meet you too! I still find it ironic that my wife and I saw you in your vehicle at random in the summer when we rode up there in the summer, and you just happened to be parked exactly where I dragged the deer out on the hunt. This was only my second season of hunting up there and It's going to be an every year thing for me.

Time in the forest is always rewarding even if one does not score. Regarding the bruin you couldn’t locate, I too have experienced a couple of very disappointing outcomings over the decades after what were thought to be ‘very good hits’ on Bear, usually with an arrow. You might consider befriending some of the individuals available here on GON, who for a reasonable fee, might be able to locate the wounded trophy if you experience a repeat event.

Enjoy the rewards of north GA!
Chris M.

Ghost G

Nice bear. Good the hear you got one in the late season. You've had some impressive success!

WoodlandScout82

I know some of you are curious about this rifle I hunt with. It's a Springfield Armory M1A Socom II. It's essentially a short barreled (16") M14. When I first decided to chase bucks and bears up in those mountains, I decided to build myself a rifle for the purpose. I glass bedded the action into a Birch M14 stock and run the cobblestone fiberglass stock on rainy days. It has a leather Garand cheekrest and a Rhodesian scout sling from Andy's Leather. It came with the Vltor quad-rail but I only run the top half. Controversially, I have been enjoying a Tru Glo Gobble stopper red dot. I looked at about 10 other dot sights from $150-400 range, and this one really was the best, not to mention it was designed to handle the recoil of heavy shotgun loads. I just have the 20rd. Mag in it for show, in use, I run a flush 5rd mag and carry my reloads on stripper clips. In summary, I built a semi-auto scout rifle. It's compact and easy to manuver in the woods, very fast on target, has almost no recoil, and is great for very quick follow-up shots.
FB_IMG_1554261631276.jpg

jbogg

Great looking gun! Not something you see someone carrying in the woods every day. I have never used a red dot scope. How accurate are they at longer ranges? In the thick woods most shots are fairly close, but if you were to hunt a food plot how far can you Shoot confidently?

WoodlandScout82

Great looking gun! Not something you see someone carrying in the woods every day. I have never used a red dot scope. How accurate are they at longer ranges? In the thick woods most shots are fairly close, but if you were to hunt a food plot how far can you Shoot confidently?
I can put 5 rds very quickly into a CD size group off-hand at 100 yards. I've not tried it past that. I also have a Leatherwood 2-7x IER scope on QD rings. I shot the hogs at 200 last season up there offhand very easily