Got my mojo back - big time - high shoulder shot is 'da bomb!

nvrfastenuf

A couple weeks ago I posted about having lost 2 deer in a row where the does did not leave a blood trail at all and had to have run for 100+ yards because we searched for hours but never could find them. In the past I had used .30-06 150gr Core-Lokts, but the last 2 were with a new short-barrel .308 rifle and I had used 150gr Federal Power-Shok on one, and 150gr Hornady SSTs on the other - neither deer recovered. The consensus of the replies was my shot placement was the issue. I have been aiming behind the shoulder for a partial heart/double lung shot, and usually they run but not too far.

Many of the replies to my frustration recommended the high-shoulder shot, which I wasn't familiar with. I have only been hunting for about 5 years and everyone I hunt with says "hit 'em in the boiler room", which is where I have always aimed. So a high-shoulder shot was new to me. I tend to research things and I came across a study by the South Carolina DNR where they studied deer hunter's recovery rates against bullet construction and shot placement.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html - a great read in general by the way.

They concluded the high-shoulder shot was the best placement for quick kills and easy recovery, so I was convinced to give it a try.

However, I figure if you are intentionally shooting at bone then you need a bullet that can penetrate and won't just fragment on impact. That meant looking at something bonded. I know solids are an option too, but I still do want good expansion and I don't think my lower velocity, short-barrel .308 is good for solids. Also from my last post several people recommended going heavier since my ranges are short and my 1:10 twist barrel can handle heavier bullets. The first thing I looked for was 165gr Federal Fusions but I couldn't find any in stock anywhere. Then I found some 165gr Nosler Accubonds in stock at Midway for a not-too-bad price of $36/box. So I bought a couple boxes, went to the range, got all sighted in, and went hunting this weekend.

9:15am on Saturday a nice 8-point steps out into my food plot at 70 yards for a perfect broadside. Bang. Flop. I have heard the term "bang-flop" before but none of the deer I have ever shot just flop over - there is always a 30-50 yard track. Not this time though. His back legs twitched for about 10 seconds and that was it - DRT. I can't imagine a more humane kill and it made my job easy.

As you can see in the picture the .308 165gr Nosler Accubond worked perfectly. It had smashed through the near side scapula, destroyed both lungs, and went all the way through to the other side and came to rest just under the skin. Nice expansion and it stayed completely intact with full penetration. Previously I had been looking for an exit wound for blood tracking which didn't happen here, but it didn't need to either. Again the buck didn't even take a full step. It is my understanding the high-shoulder shot destroys the "brachial plexus", which is the junction where all the nerves spread out from the bottom of the neck vertebrae to the rest of the body, shocking the deer and they immediately pass out - no tracking. Woohoo!

I know this is only one deer but I am fully convinced with the high-shoulder shot as the best way to drop 'em. Also, I can highly recommend the Nosler Accubonds as performing perfectly to expectations.

I think the “boiler room” shot is still the correct shot for bow hunters. I don’t think it is ethical to shoot at bone with an arrow. But for gun hunters using a bonded (or solid) bullet the high-shoulder is the way to go.

Aim here:
brachialplexus.jpg

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 2,220
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 2,461
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,201

polkmarine

Congrats. Nice deer man.

Highintheshoulder

Congrats on a fine buck..... My screen name says it all.

BARFOOTLARRY

Thanks for the insight and research. Nice deer. I personally have had excellent results with 180 grain Core-lock in 30.06. Most every deer that I have shot are DRT.

Jeff Phillips

Congrats and good shot!

When the bullet is just under the skin, as in this case, the deer absorbed all of the energy from the shot.

Sterling

I agree that it puts them down right where they stand, but you will lose the meat on the shoulder due to it becoming bloodshot. However, if that isn't a concern then this makes for a quick kill, quick recovery, and no guesses as to whether you made a good shot or not. Thanks for sharing.

Meriwether Mike

This shot is devastating when it is available. DRT is what I like!:cheers:

nvrfastenuf

Perhaps it was just the luck of this particular shot, but I didn't lose much meat at all. The entrance was pretty high on the shoulder, so on that side most of the shoulder was fine. The bullet travelled at a slight down angle and slight back angle so it came to rest under the skin past the far side ribs, with no lost shoulder meat on that side. Very happy with the results.

A shout out to Souther's Deer Cooler in Murrayville. I will have lots of jalapeño and cheddar summer sausage and Cajun jerky soon. Mmmm, mmmm…

T-N-T

I agree that it puts them down right where they stand, but you will lose the meat on the shoulder due to it becoming bloodshot. However, if that isn't a concern then this makes for a quick kill, quick recovery, and no guesses as to whether you made a good shot or not. Thanks for sharing.

I try for this kinda shot myself, knowing that it destroys the shoulder. But puts em down on the ground.

Nice deer OP!

ReelAffair

I've been shooting them there for the last 10+ years. An old deer hunter once told me, you hit him here (pointing to the high shoulder) and they fall right there (pointing to the ground). Congrats on your buck!!

Katera73

Yeah not the best shot for bow I shot a small buck friday eve with my X-BOW hit higher than I wanted right where you got the X in your diagram. He drop in his tracks but did not die right away he flopped around trying to get up but couldn't. before I could get x-bow drawn and loaded he flopped behind a fallen tree trunk. So I got down to finish him and he was all but done. The bolt with a 2" rage still busted both shoulders no pass thru he broke my bolt in 3pcs.

sman

I tried it on the last buck I shot this yr. He weighed over 200 but dropped in his tracks. For big bucks it is my new go to shot. However for does, I'm still leaning towards neck or broiler room. Of course my 10yr old fills my freezer these days.

cathooker

I always try for the high shoulder shot. My 130 grain Corelokts out of my 270 does a number on them with that shot.