Got this email

ucfireman

SO it seems that the strip mining operation that "twin pines minerals" wanted has been stopped.
Agree or not (Democrat or Republican) I see this as a good move.
Now if we/ someone can stop the space launch site from destroying thousands of acres. And Pine log too.
Its here too.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/04/okefenokee-mine-blocked/

From Jon Ossof.

I am happy to share that I have successfully restored protections of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and surrounding wetlands.

After a year-long effort by my office, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers granted my request to restore key protections over the Wildlife Refuge, Wilderness, and surrounding wetlands to protect them from proposed strip mining, which the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service warned posed a dire threat to the Okefenokee.

The Okefenokee is the largest blackwater swamp in North America. It contains a National Wildlife Refuge and U.S. Wilderness Area and is one of Georgia’s top sites for outdoor recreation and tourism, drawing more than 600,000 visitors per year. It is one of Georgia’s most beloved and environmentally significant wild places.

Growing up, I always loved the Okefenokee and have many good memories of times there, as so many Georgians. It is an amazing natural resource and a site for recreation, education, and tourism. Our children deserve to be able to explore and enjoy the Okefenokee as we have. Since inspecting the Refuge, Wilderness, and surrounding wetlands last year, I have pressed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the EPA, and the U.S. Department of the Interior to restore protection of the Okefenokee.

While threats to the Okefenokee will no doubt present again, we are now in a position to ensure that it is protected for future generations.

I am grateful to everyone who wrote and called about this issue. Your advocacy helped bring us to this point to restore these protections for the Okefenokee.
Thank you again for contacting me. I always welcome your input and feedback.
Wherever and however I can be of service, please contact my D.C. office at 202-224-3521 or my Georgia office at 470-786-7800. All of our resources are also available at ossoff.senate.gov .
Sincerely,

mail

United States Senato